The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 2nd, 2024, 7:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
adc design example available (Read 3061 times)
Sheldon2

adc design example available
Jul 19th, 2005, 9:59pm

Is there any document on adc design as detailed  and straightforward as the op amp design in Allen's CMOS book?
Thanks

mm
View Profile   IP Logged
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
Re: adc design example available
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2005, 10:54pm

I found Schreier's "Delta-Sigma Data Converters" and Rudy van de Plassche's "CMOS Integrated Analog-to-Digital and Digital-to-Analog Converters" as most useful so far.

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: adc design example available
Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2005, 1:36pm

Art,

as there are many different ADC topologies, each appearing with different flavors, you cannot expect having a straight-forward design document. The architecture choice depends mostly on your specifications in terms of speed (bandwidth) and resolution.

Unless you are going to do extensive investigation of sigma-delta converters, I would not recommend Schreier's book. It is a good book, but it is very exhaustive and as it has several contributors, it is difficult to read only part of it and still get the full picture.

As a starting point in ADC architectures and evaluation, I would recommend the following book:

Integrated Converters: D to A and A to D Architectures, Analysis and Simulation
Paul Jespers
Oxford University Press UK
ISBN: 0198564465

It covers all major ADC topologies and it has nice Matlab code included for evaluation of topologies and their trade-offs. I would grade it 4/5 (not 5/5 because it does not go into all the details, but that's also one of its strength) and suggest it to be added to the books section.

Concerning free tutorials on ADC specifications (probably not design though), you can also have a look at the appnotes of some major design houses (e.g. Maxim, ADI, ...).

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.