The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 12:48am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Estimating bottom plate capacitance (Read 2567 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

Estimating bottom plate capacitance
Jul 14th, 2005, 11:08pm

Hi,

I am looking for a reliable way to estimate the bottom plate capacitance of poly-poly caps. Usually, I just assume a worst-case estimate of 10% which although conservative is not a problem as I never really have to deal with extremely large caps and this approach also accounts for extra caps from the layout.

However, I am currently working with very large on-chip caps (~1 nF) and I think it would be better if I could get a more realistic estimate. I have data about field oxide thickness vs. poly-poly oxide thickness. However, I dont have much information about the permittivity ratios. Is it wise to assume that the ratio of bottom plate cap to nominal cap would be in ratio of the oxide thicknesses?

Thanks
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Re: Estimating bottom plate capacitance
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2005, 12:23am

Modern process have about eps=4.2 between thin film layers (metal&silicon). Lateral between the fill glass have about eps=4.1. Field oxide possible under doublepoly cap have eps=3.9. The thickness of the thinoxide is difficult to measure and then calculate. So use instead the direct cap measurement. Be aware that the silicon undernead the field oxide have also a series resistance. So it could lower significant Q of the cap.

View Profile   IP Logged
DReynolds

Scarborough ME
Re: Estimating bottom plate capacitance
Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2005, 6:41am

Vivek, in the documentation for the process you are using should have capacitance tables that include poly_to_field which you can use to caluculate the capacitance exactly if you know the size of the poly-poly cap you are making.

David

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.