The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 30th, 2024, 12:43pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pspice BJT Modeling (Read 4508 times)
viren

Pspice BJT Modeling
Jul 28th, 2005, 8:48pm

I am trying to fit the DC characteristics of the real BJT which I had attached in my earlier email using a pspice BJT model. I am using the gummel poon model parameters to model the real BJT . I don't know which parameters to change . Since there is drop of gain at low currents I have to figure out how to model it in pspice model of BJt the same loss of gain BF . Since the equation for IB in the book had Ib (nonideal)= C2 Is(0) (e^(q*Vbe/nelkT) -1) I changed the value of C2 and nel to describe the nonideal component of Ib which is dominant at low currents.So let me know if i am going wrong and please refer me to someone who knows about this.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Pspice BJT Modeling
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2005, 7:57am

Without seeing the whole set of equations, it looks like you're on the right track.
Typically, the base current has an ideal term
Ib(ideal) = Is * (exp(vbe/vt) -1)
and a non-ideal term
Ib(nonideal) = Isn * (exp(vbe/(2*vt) -1)

where Isn is bigger than Is, so that it dominates at low vbe, but at high vbe,
the factor ne1 (usually ~2) means that the exponential is smaller.  With more base current, the gain ic/ib is smaller.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
viren

Pspice BJT Modeling
Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2005, 10:33pm

Thank you for your suggestion. I am modeling a non ideal BJT characteristics. I am using the gummel poon model parameters for pspice . I just have a graph of the real BJT DC characteristics for IC Vs Vce curve.  I changed the value of ISE so that there is a drop in gain at low IC current but when I change the value
of IS my max Ic current for the graph goes above 5 A which is wrong. Can u tell me what mistake i am doing to calculate gain at high IC current .

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Pspice BJT Modeling
Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2005, 5:29am

Why are you changing IS?  You changed ISE for low current, did you also need to fix the high current end?  In real BJTs, the high current regime may be limited by the resistances (RC, RE, RB).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.