The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 1st, 2024, 5:09pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
PAC of a VCO and a few other questions (Read 4762 times)
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: PAC of a VCO and a few other questions
Reply #15 - Aug 26th, 2005, 4:53am

[quote author=Eugene  link=1124964940/0#6 date=1124992717]Item #1:
You are of course right about integrals producing infinite AC response at DC but the VCO voltage is a sinusoidal function of phase and a sinusoid  is bounded.  In fact, regardless of the phase, the amplitude of the sinusoid is constant. So if your PAC analysis looks only at voltage amplitude, you will see little or no dependence on the integral of frequency. You must detect phase to see the effects of the integral in a PAC analysis and that is not trivial. [/quote]
I believe that the linearization performed by the PAC analysis results in a linear relationship between the phase and the amplitude calculated by this analysis. The bounded amplitude of the signal results in a nonlinear effect which is not taken into account by the PAC analysis.

The same effect can be seen in the results of the Pnoise analysis (see http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/?board=rfsim;action=display;num=1050465395;...). The noise calculated by Spectre will rise towards infinity for very low frequencies because the nonlinear effect due to the bounded signal amplitude is not taken into account. Likewise, the result of the PAC analysis in Sven's example will rise towards infinity for very low frequencies with a slope of 20 dB per decade.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Eugene

Reply #16 - Aug 26th, 2005, 6:08pm

Frank,

I see your point. Thanks for the insight. If the VCO output is sin(phi), where phi = integral of frequency wrt time, the linearization is

sin(phi)+delta_phi*cos(phi).

Since delta_phi is the output of an integration, it grows with decreasing frequency. Also, since PAC probably only plots the amplitude of the perturbation, the normalized perturbation indeed equals phase perturbation. It seems only the normalized plot has meaning since the absolute plot (in Volts)  implies incorrectly that the amplitude goes to infinity at DC. Right?

svensl,
By "stripping down the circuit" I meant yours. However, my simple circuit should suffice.

Regarding your f0 offset, are you sure you selected the correct sideband? When you change the offset, don't you also change the VCO unperturbed frequency?

View Profile   IP Logged
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
Reply #17 - Aug 26th, 2005, 11:26pm

Thank you Eugene and Frank.

The PAC linearizes the circuit about a periodically time-varying operating point.
Is that what you mean by the equation sin(phi)+delta_phi*cos(phi) with delta_phi being a small excursion from the operating point, Eugene?

As for the sideband, I did not consider them before. When doing as suggested by Frank I obtain the expected dB plot. Could you please further explain how the sidebands come into play here and their meaning? I am a bit confused. In a noise analysis, the sidebands will specify how much noise is taking into consideration because the sidebands are used to account for aliasing in SC circuits.
How does that relate to the sideband here?

View Profile   IP Logged
Eugene

Reply #18 - Aug 27th, 2005, 4:13pm

Quote:
The PAC linearizes the circuit about a periodically time-varying operating point.  
Is that what you mean by the equation sin(phi)+delta_phi*cos(phi) with delta_phi being a small excursion from the operating point, Eugene?  

Yes. It would be nice if one of the SpectreRF experts could confirm my claim.

You are not the first to be confused. If I don't use the tool for a few months I have to dig into the manual or e-mail someone. One of my complaints about the SpectreRF PAC, Pnoise, Pxf GUIs is that although the manual is very clear about sidebands, the GUI does not say which field is the input and which is the output. Thus, I am forced to waste time experimenting with simple circuits or searching for someone who remembers. Anyway, I believe that for PAC, the topmost frequency fields in the GUI are for the input range. The rest is output. For Pnoise and PXF, it is reversed. You must deal with sidebands when you have frequency translation. Since you are injecting a frequency perturbation, you are injecting at baseband. However, you are observing it at RF(i.e. passband). You have frequency translation. I duplicated Frank's observations by specifying a baseband range in the topmost fields and selecting the output range in the lower fields. I believe I used a -1 sideband but I'm not sure, I am not at my workstation. Frank included some netlist lines that answer that question. I believe the +1 side band gives similar results because a sinusoid has output at positive and negative frequencies.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #19 - Aug 27th, 2005, 11:25pm

Eugene,

In fact I also have seen this confusion at many customers when using PAC, PXF and PNoise. As a result, I asked for the forms for these analyses (as well as the corresponding QP
analyses) to update the "Frequency Range" label to say either "Input Frequency Range" (for PAC) or "Output Frequency Range" (for PXF, PNoise). This has been done for IC5141 USR2, so if you use that, you'll see the changes.

Regards,

Andrew.

Eugene

Reply #20 - Aug 28th, 2005, 11:13am

Excellent! Thanks Andrew.

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #21 - Aug 29th, 2005, 12:15am

[quote author=Eugene  link=1124964940/15#16 date=1125104922]It seems only the normalized plot has meaning since the absolute plot (in Volts)  implies incorrectly that the amplitude goes to infinity at DC. Right? [/quote]
If you interpret the result of the PAC analysis as gain (like in an AC analysis), it is still correct as long as the linear small-signal approximation is valid for all signals. However, in the case of a slow frequency modulation this condition is easily violated, even for a small input signal, because the deviation of the phase accumulates over a long time.

Eugene

Reply #22 - Aug 29th, 2005, 8:08am

Frank,
Even for small signals and high frequencies, I am still not sure I agree that the PAC analysis in this case is valid in the absolute sense, i.e. when interpreted as the transfer function from frequency perturbation to amplitude perturbation.  How can any perturbation in frequency have any affect on the amplitude of the VCO output? PAC says it can. However, I think we both agree that for high frequency, small signal perturbations, the normalized PAC output can be interpreted as a phase output.

Also, we agree that phase output should go to infinity at low frequency perturbations, and this PAC analysis does just that.

I therefore maintain that the PAC analysis in this case only has meaning when normalized to amplitude and and interpreted as a phase output. I am not convinced that in this case, the interpretation of the PAC output as an amplitude response is valid at any frequency or for any size of perturbation.

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #23 - Aug 29th, 2005, 11:15am

The result of the PAC analysis does not mean that the VCO amplitude will change. It means that sidebands will be generated.

Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #24 - Aug 29th, 2005, 10:03pm

To be more specific, in an oscillator PAC will show that both upper and lower sidebands are generated and that they are correlated in such a way as to produce phase noise rather than amplitude noise.

-Ken

Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #25 - Aug 29th, 2005, 11:49pm

I would talk of phase modulation rather than phase noise in this specific example.

For those interested in the theory behind this, look up under "narrowband frequency modulation". Some online resources are http://www.radiolab.com.au/DesignFile/PNRef/intro4.htm (and the previous page) and http://www.educatorscorner.com/cbt/fm/1.htm (also accessible as "FM Fundamentals" from http://www.educatorscorner.com/index.cgi?CONTENT_ID=2523).

Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #26 - Aug 30th, 2005, 7:45am

Concerning Eugene's comments about how it is difficult to remember how to fill out the forms for the periodic small-signal analyses (PAC, PXF, PNoise, etc): it might be helpful to remember that you are "specifying what is unique".

For example, PAC computes the transfer function from a single input to multiple outputs. So with PAC you must specify both the location of the input and the band of the input. You specify the location by adding a nonzero pacmag to a source and you specify the band by giving the start and stop frequencies on the analysis form. In this case, there is one input band and multiple output bands. So you specify the input band, which is unique.

Similarly with PXF and PNoise. These compute transfer function from multiple inputs to a single output. So with these you specify the output location and output band on the analysis form. Here, it is the output band that is unique.

Finally, with these analyses the sidebands are specified relative to the frequency band you specified.

Hope that helps.

-Ken

Eugene

Reply #27 - Aug 30th, 2005, 9:03am

Ken,
Thanks for the clarification on the PAC/PXF analyses. Your comments are indeed helpful, as usual.

All,
I see Frank's point about the sidebands. In my simple example, the perturbed VCO output is

sin(phi) + delta_phi*cos(phi),

which can be expressed as a single sinusoid with an amplitude of

sqrt(1+delta_phi**2).

The amplitude depends on delta_phi but not to first order. Since the PAC is a first order analysis, second order terms should be ignored. So to first order, yes, we have sidebands but no amplitude perturbation. I retract my statement about this PAC analysis implying that the frequency perturbation affects amplitude. It does not. I think we all agree now that the PAC analysis of the VCO output in this case is strictly a phase response.

svensl,
Sorry about hijacking your topic. I was working on something similar and found the interaction very helpful. Thanks everyone.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.