The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 4:36pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
breakdown voltage (Read 2051 times)
aamar
Community Member

Germany
breakdown voltage
Aug 31st, 2005, 5:57am

Dear Sirs,

I am using a device model (subckt)  which is including a MOS transistor, in my simulations I have to reach a voltages of about 30V on the gate source of the transistors, I receive a warning from Spectre telling that Vgs has exceeded the breakdown voltage of Vbox=30V.

only warning, no errors and at the end I get results for the simulation.

Are these simulation results true or not?

At the same time what is the effect of reaching these voltages on both DC and transient behav. of the transistor?

Is there any other technologies which can hold these 30V other than the High voltage models ?, it doesn't matter the process at the moment, bcz I am just simulating.

Thanks in advance.

aamar

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: breakdown voltage
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2005, 12:37pm

You may be getting a default value for Vbox; the documentation says

224     vbox=1e9*tox V    Oxide breakdown voltage.

so if you have a tox of 30nm, you'd get Vbox=30.  You should look in your model card to see if there is a value specified for Vbox, indicating that someone decided they had enough information to specify such a quantity.

If you're just simulating, you can (a) ignore the warning, since it's just a warning, or (b) add Vbox=10000 to the .model card.

-Geoffrey

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.