The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 2nd, 2024, 1:54am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to overwrite a file in Veriloga? (Read 6839 times)
tumeda
Community Member

how to overwrite a file in Veriloga?
Sep 01st, 2005, 10:03am

Who can tell me how to overwrite a file in Veriloga?

I use these commands " $fopen(fp) &  $fstrobe(fp, ...) & $fclose(fp)" to write the output periods of a PLL into a file. If I do a simulation again, the output results are just added into the previous results.  How can I firstly delete the old simulation results, then wirte new simualtion results into the file.  :'(

Thanks a lot!!!

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: how to overwrite a file in Veriloga?
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2005, 11:23am

The $fopen system function defined in 1364-1995 (from which Verilog-AMS is defined) did not have an argument for opening in read/write/append text/binary. Curiously, the LRM does not say whether $fopen was supposed to append or truncate.  (Probably some simulators do one thing, and others do another.)

The extra argument was added in 1364-2001, so you may find that your simulator does, in fact, support the argument.  (Vendors had to implement it for digital Verilog, so why not allow the functionality in V-AMS?)

$fopen("filename", "w")

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
tumeda
Community Member

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2005, 1:58am

Geoffrey_Coram, thank very much!

you are right.  The following is found in CDSDOC file.

fopen_function ::= multi_channel_descriptor = $fopen ( "file_name" [ "io_mode"] ) ;
io_mode is one of three possible values: w, a, or r. The w or write mode deletes the contents of any      existing files before writing to them. The a or append mode appends the next output to the existing       contents of the specified file. In both cases, if the specified file does not exist, $fopen creates that file. The r mode opens a file for reading. An error is reported if the file does not exist.

I added the option in the code, but the simulation results is always appended to the old results? What's a problem? ???

« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2005, 3:05am by tumeda »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2005, 4:37am

If the simulator behavior doesn't match the documentation, then you should file a bug report with the vendor.

Do the results get appended even if you completely restart?  Ie, Spectre allows you to put multiple analyses in a single netlist and maybe it appends everything from the same netlist, but if you run the whole netlist again, do the results still get appended?  Do you have any @(initial_step) code around your $fopen?  There was some ambiguity in the LRM as to what initial_step meant for DC, and some simulators re-use a single DC op-point to compute multiple AC analyses, so maybe initial_step isn't happening.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
tumeda
Community Member

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2005, 5:09am

Thanks a lot for Geoffrey_Coram' help!

I made a mistake in my veriloga Model.  :P

I used "if $realtime==25e-6, $fclose(fp)" to close the file, but actually the file is not closed. Hence the simulation results are always appended into the file.
Now I corret the syntax to "if $realtime>=25e-6, $fclose(fp)". It works now in order.  :D
I have great fun to discuss problems at hier!

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2005, 7:56am

I'm guessing that you don' t need the mode argument "w" -- that this is the default, and that your original problem was just that you weren't properly closing the file.

Am I right?

tumeda
Community Member

Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2005, 10:05am

yes, u are right!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.