The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:52am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tsmc model with AMS (Read 92 times)
sren

tsmc model with AMS
Sep 02nd, 2005, 11:45am

I am trying to build a circuit with both Verilog and TSMC0.18 schematic in the AMS environment. The model used is the TSMC0.18 spectre model (rf018.scs) which has been working fine for straight schematic circuits in the analog design evirornment.
The following error  always appears if I run the simulation under AMS Cadence hierarchy editor.
 Error found by Spectre
  "/directory/rf018.scs" #: illegal library definition found in netlist  
ncelab: *F, SPRSER :/Spice/Spectre file parsing failed.

I am able to run  a similar simulation using the IBM cmrf8fsf/.../allModels.scs

How can I eliminate this error when using the TSMC 0.18 technology?

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: tsmc model with AMS
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2005, 1:11am

When you're referencing this file, are you including just particular named sections from the file, or are you including it as a whole (without giving section name)? I think the latter would cause such an error - if a file contains a library definition, you have to include it with a section name to pick out which section you want to pull out of the library.

Are you referencing the file via a MODELPATHS statement in your hdl.var or via the model library (I think that's what it's called) from the AMS pulldown in the hierarchy editor?

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
sren

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2005, 10:47am

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for your helpful response. I was referencing the file via a MODELPATHS statement in my hdl.var and including it as a whole. It turns out this is the problem of causing the “illegal library” error as you said.
Following your advice, I added the statement “ softinclude ‘/…/rf018.scs’   section =mos" to my hdl.var file and commented the MODELPATHS statement. The new error “instance ‘NM0’ of the unit ‘nch’ is unresolved in ‘\...\file name:schematic” appeared. It seems the model is not being linked properly. I commented the softinclude statement and activated the MODELPATHS statement with the “section =mos” on. Then another error “top_level_netlist_12262.ckt” 2: Bad include filename syntax” showed.
Finally I deleted all sections but the mos section from the rf018.scs. Then I got the error of  “instance ‘ams_inst_0’ of the unit ‘cds_alias’ is unresolved in ‘SH:schematic”

I know even I edit the SH view AMS Netlist and get rid of the “instance ‘ams_inst_0’ of the unit ‘cds_alias’ is unresolved in ‘SH:schematic” error , some other errors will come out. I believe you have some idea about how to handle the correct setup.

Thanks,

Saiyu  

View Profile   IP Logged
sren

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2005, 7:46am

Hello Andrew,

I just solved the problem described in my posted message (tsmc model with AMS).  Your suggestion was
very helpful.  Now I am getting to the simvision and have
encounted another problem.  If I cannot solve the problem, I will post it later.  Thanks again for your help.

Saiyu

View Profile   IP Logged
sren

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2005, 10:49am

Hi,

I want to do an FFT on the output data from AMS environment.  I use the calculator when in the analog
enviornment.  Is there a similar tool for the AMS environment?

Saiyu

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2005, 3:08pm

When using AMS as a simulator within ADE (from IC5141 USR1 onwards) you can access the ADE calculator and do an fft that way.

Or if running AMS Designer from the command line, or from the hierarchy editor, you can use "wavescan" standalone and open the results, and do an fft that way. I've had customers use this approach to analyze spurs in a fractional-N synthesizer with millions of points in the FFT (the repeat cycle was very long)

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
sren

Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2005, 7:50am

Thank you, Andrew. Everything is working fine now.

Saiyu

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.