The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 27th, 2024, 2:40pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
question :12-bit pipeline ADC (Read 4292 times)
juzi

Chengdu,China
question :12-bit pipeline ADC
Sep 06th, 2005, 8:31am

hi,all

I want to design  a 12-bit 100-MS/s pipelined ADC, I have not experence, Is there some special consideratin with so high  resolution?  
Is it too difficult for a beginner?
Is it better for me just design a 10-bit 100MS/s pipeline ADC ?

thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: question :12-bit pipeline ADC
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2005, 12:18pm

Hi Juzi,

I don't know what exactly you qualify as "a beginner" (undergrad student, B.S., M.S., junior designer,...?) and what is the goal of your design (student project, academic research, industrial project?), and I don't either know the technology you are going to use, but you should be aware that 10b 100MS/s is already quite close to the current state of the art. There are probably too many things to consider to pretend this to be an exhaustive list:

- thermal noise
- OTA design (settling time, slew rate, DC gain, ...)
- all the switched-cap things (charge injection, clock phase generation, clock feed-through, parasitic capacitances)
- clock jitter in S&H
- error correction for high resolution

If you have experience in OTA design and switched-capacitor design, you should be able to address these issues, but if you are a beginner in all these fields and if the work must comply with the specifications you set now, I would recommend to target a somewhat lower data rate and not more than 8-10b. In the open literature (e.g. IEEE collection), you will notice that for higher resolution people use error correction schemes, which definitely result in a more complex design.

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
juzi

Chengdu,China
Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2005, 7:43pm

Hi Paul,

It's very glad to see your replay. I'm a Postgraduate student majored in Microelectronics,Grade 2. the goal of my design is stident project. I wanna  to use UMC.18 Process, CMOS, the minimum channel length is 0.34u for analog circuit.

View Profile   IP Logged
juzi

Chengdu,China
Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2005, 7:58pm

thermal noise
- OTA design (settling time, slew rate, DC gain, ...)
- all the switched-cap things (charge injection, clock phase generation, clock feed-through, parasitic capacitances)
- clock jitter in S&H

I've read some papers about these issues. I've design a simple s/h circuit of a pipeline ADC(10-bit,33MS/s), however,it is just a student assignment. It is designed on circuit level with MOSFET, no layout,no tapeout. So I wanna to have a top-down  ADC design with my classmates.

juzi

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2005, 12:42pm

Juzi,

I guess you can either use the thick oxyde devices operating up to 3.3V (which you call analog) or the regular devices operating up to 1.8V. Why would you limit yourself to the former category? In that case, you could use a much cheaper 0.35um technology, except that the digital part would be somewhat larger. Possibly a design with 3.3V devices would achieve a somewhat better dynamic range, but it will have a hard time to achieve high sampling rates.

Regarding your experience, it may be interesting (if you can financially afford it) to have a tape-out with your S&H design and see if the chip complies with the specs. If you spend some time debugging it and learning about its limitations, you would probably be able to design a better ADC in the following.

Good luck

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.