The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 4:46pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MM9 Mos Model syntax (Read 7152 times)
keble

MM9 Mos Model syntax
Sep 07th, 2005, 2:38pm

I am using Dolphin's Smash simulator with MM9 models supplied in Eldo format.
These models don't seem to meet the strict (Philips) MM9 requirement of instantiating the source/drain diodes separately to the MOS (is that something that Meta/HSpice or Anacad/Eldo did?) The models include parameters such as DCAPLEV, RLEV, ALEV which are not, I think, standard Philips syntax.

The question is: what do these parameters mean and what ranges of values are valid?
Does anyone "own" the MM9 syntax?

Also I saw that the parameter names for diode area and perimeter capacitance seem to vary!

Has anyone experienced converting Eldo MM9 models to another simulator?
Web searches haven't shown too much. Apologies if this topic has been raised before here - couldn't find anything by searching.
- Rob

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: MM9 Mos Model syntax
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2005, 4:06pm

Hi Rob,

Having separate junction capacitor "juncap" was something Philips did in Pstar (their own circuit simulator) - and other vendors (Cadence spectre included) followed suit. Looks like Eldo didn't...

Philips own the definition of MOS9 (and variants) as far as I know. I don't know what the definition of these additional "non-standard" parameters is - perhaps it is in the documentation for the simulator you're using, or you can ask their customer support?

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2005, 1:37am

Hi Rob,

DCAPLEV, RLEV and ALEV are not part of the MM9 model. They appear in the extrinsic parasitics evaluation in Eldo, which is more or less model independent (i.e. performed in the same manner for MM) as for BSIM). I don't know if Smash performs these calculations inside the model, in which case it has no use for the extrinisic Eldo parameters. You can find more information about MM9 here:
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/Philips_Models/mos_models/model9/index.htm...

You can try to remove the extrinsic parameters from the model, which should allow you to run a simulation, but I'm not sure how Smash calculates the extrinsic parasitics, so your results (especially at high frequencies) will probably be somewhat off. Maybe the Smash documentation gives information about this. First look for info about the ACM parameter, which defines the usage of DCAPLEV, ALEV and RLEV in Eldo.

Paul

keble

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2005, 1:14pm

Andrew, Paul
Thanks for the responses. It's helpful to know where those LEV parameters came from Smiley I will try and find out more about Eldo's parameter usage.
The Smash help people have told me that the diode gets activated by DIOLEV = 9; I'll try that ASAP
- Rob

View Profile   IP Logged
keble

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2005, 11:52pm

Follow up: there are a couple of Eldo model documents available on the web:
* Eldo User's manual - chapter 4 contains useful MOS model information
* Eldo Device Equations Manual, in which chapter 10 (Common Equations) has very useful sections on junction capacitances.
- Rob

View Profile   IP Logged
Dolphin Integration

The Enabler of mixed
signal
Systems-on-Chip

France
Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2005, 8:39am

Philips does not include any drain/source diode in their MM9 model, so that any drain/source diode model parameters included in the MM9 model card for ELDO does not refer to the MM9 model itself but to another drain/source diode model.

The Philips MM9 model code and documentation are available on Philips web site: http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/Philips_Models/mos_models/model9/index.htm...

Philips recommends to use their JUNCAP diodes to model the drain/source diode behavior, but this is only a recommendation and SMASH (just like other simulators) includes in the MOS models its own drain/source diode and resistor models to allow to choose between different drain/source diode and resistor models.

Therefore, it is not trivial to answer your question as it depends on the selected drain/source diode and resistor models. If your MM9 model uses JUNCAP models for the diodes (DCAPLEV=9 for ELDO), you can convert the “ELDO” parameters to “SMASH” parameters as follows:

CJ = CJBR
CJSW = CJSR
CJGATE = CJGR
JS = JSDBR + JSGBR
JSW = JSGGR
PB = VDBR
PBSW = max(VDGR, VDSR)
MJ = PB
MJSW = max(PG, PS)
NB = NBJ
TLEVC = 2
XTI = 1.5
N = 2

A future release of SMASH will provide the direct support of JUNCAP diode models.

DOLPHIN Integration
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.