The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 12:23am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
PS ripple and harmonic balance simulators (Read 13634 times)
Eugene

Re: PS ripple and harmonic balance simulators
Reply #15 - Oct 12th, 2005, 10:17am

Vuk,

Thanks for the information. I have not seen this white paper. I am curious: where did the ripple come from in a linear regulator? And why did the SpectreRF phase noise differ so much?

The salesman claimed SpectreRF "failed to average out the ripple effects". I am still not convinced SpectreRF gave incorrect results. I still wonder if the HB simulator falsely introduced the ripple. Without any lab data, it is hard to say which simulator was right. Again, I did not see the white paper but the entire example seemed contrived and the conclusions struck me as a salesman's wishful thinking. Another problem I had with the results is that it appeared that the HB analysis was performed by an HB expert while the SpectreRF version of the analysis was performed by a SpectreRF novice. The difference in levels of expertise hardly make the comparison fair.

View Profile   IP Logged
vborich

Reply #16 - Oct 12th, 2005, 10:38am

Eugene,

I can't think of a context in which the statement "failed to average out the ripple effects" makes sense. I am also curious how the salesman knew the results that another simulator calculated.

Vuk

View Profile   IP Logged
Eugene

Reply #17 - Oct 12th, 2005, 11:33am

Vuk,

I believe the saleman's party had a copy of SpectreRF. That's why I don't think the comparision was fair. They are HB experts. Based on their misunderstanding of other SpectreRF features, I can only assume they are also not experts at simulating phase noise with SpectreRF.

As for averaging the ripple, I think he was trying to say that HB assessed phase noise of the VCO over a time long enough to average over the low frequency ripple, while SpectreRF only averaged over one cycle of the VCO. Of course, I may be mis-stating his claim. He was pretty vague at this depth.

View Profile   IP Logged
vborich

Reply #18 - Oct 12th, 2005, 11:42am

Eugene,

>>I believe the saleman's party had a copy of >>SpectreRF.

Just what Connections is designed for Smiley.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.