The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 6th, 2024, 5:23am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Question on a VCO design with differential stage (Read 11676 times)
tumeda
Community Member

Question on a VCO design with differential stage
Sep 30th, 2005, 6:47am

I have a problem about a  VCO circuit design with differential stage architecture, its schematic is attached here.
I am wondering about why the output signal cannot oscillate ??? I have also done a PZ analysis, and found that there are positive poles in practice.  Is anything wrong with my design? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
I will try to attach the schematic here later.

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: Question on a VCO design with differential sta
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2005, 1:16pm

Hi,

Maybe you should give some more information about your simulation set-up. What are your start-up conditions? In simulation you have to use initial conditions or an external stimulus to trigger the oscillation. Search this forum for more information.

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
tumeda
Community Member

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2005, 1:27pm

-Hi Paul
Thanks!
This is the schematic of VCO and the PZ anaylsis result.

The underleft is a voltage input, where 1V is applied. In a transient simulation, two initial conditions are set on the two nets, 1.5 V for one and 0V for anohter, as showed in the picture.

could you tell what the wrong is?

« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2005, 5:49am by tumeda »  
View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:55pm

Tumeda,

The image is not here.  :)

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
tumeda
Community Member

Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2005, 1:06am

I have updated these pictures. Sometimes, You need still click right mouse to select the "show picture", then you can see its!
Finally. I have found a free space to save picture in internet.  

Thanks!

« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2005, 11:23am by tumeda »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2005, 9:46pm

Tumeda, there's still no picture. When you use the img tags, you have to give a URL between the open and close tag, where the URL is a location containing the picture. The image also needs to stay at that URL otherwise people won't be able to see it.

Regards,

Andrew.

Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2005, 9:51pm

I also recommend that you use the "Preview" button to assure everything on is correct before you post.

-Ken

Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2005, 10:01pm

Ken,

Good point. I know that when I first did this, I made a mistake, and so had to have a second attempt at posting the picture. What was worse, I meant to hit the Preview button and my mouse slipped  :-/

Regards,

Andrew.

tumeda
Community Member

Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2005, 1:43am

Sorry for my mistakes! I have really previewed these pictures before I posted them.  But the URL address of these pictures seem to be not constant, they vary always. If you open this page, please try to click right mouse to select the "show picture", I hope you can see them. So far, I donot have a better idea of it. The direct URL address of my pictures page are given. You can direcly click the under URL to see it. Sorry again for putting you in trouble!

http://cn.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/notting_zj/detail?.dir=1b00&.dnm=d692.jpg&.src=...

« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2005, 6:32am by tumeda »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Forum Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2005, 8:15am

I apologize for the trouble you are having, but the situation will be improving soon. Sometime in the next few weeks we will be upgrading the Forum to the latest version, which supports the uploading of images and files.

-Ken

ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #10 - Oct 5th, 2005, 6:39pm

Hi, Tumeda,

Have you tried not to set the initial voltage on those two nodes?

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
tumeda
Community Member

Reply #11 - Oct 9th, 2005, 1:44pm

As your suggestion, I made a simulation without any initial setup, the circuit can not oscillate yet. But I have tried to set the initial voltages at another levels, for instance, 1V and 0.5V for two nodes, the circuit can oscillate now.
But, a new problem comes up. I have set the transistor design parameters (W/L) in another values, the circuit cannot oscillate again, while there are also poles in right side. Who can tell me, is there any critiera for VCO oscillation?

« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2005, 1:00am by tumeda »  
View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2005, 6:50pm

Tumeda,

Do you mean the simulator cannot analyze the oscillator again?

Quote:
But, a new problem comes up. I have set the transistor design parameters (W/L) in another values, the circuit cannot simulate again, while there are also poles in right side.

Would you please paste the errors and warnings on the forum?

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #13 - Oct 10th, 2005, 12:56am

Hi Tumeda,

[quote author=tumeda  link=1128088045/0#11 date=1128890675]Who can tell me, is there any critiera for VCO oscillation? [/quote]

There are the so-called Barkhausen criteria, but I'm sure you are aware of that. Frequently you need more gain in a ring oscillator to guarantee start-up than defined by the above criteria. You may have enough gain to obtain RHP poles, but not enough to start it up.

When you change transistor ratios, are you sure your operating point is still correct? In your schematic, I'm also concerned that when you use active loads in saturation, you may need common-mode feed-back to guarantee a proper operating point. Frequently you use MOS transistors in triode region as resistive loads in such schemes, but it seems not to be your case.

Paul

tumeda
Community Member

Reply #14 - Oct 12th, 2005, 5:27am

Hi ywguo
Sorry for tap mistake! I wanted to mean that , the circuit cannot oscillate again.  :P

Hi Paul
About Barkhausen criteria, as my personal opinion, it is not very suitful for VCO oscillator. Even we can use a AC simulation to find the gain and phase, the AC simulation depends on the DC points. The DC point of VCO oscillator varies always during the simulation.
Which conditions can accutally trigger a VCO oscillation is still unclear for me?  ???
About the PMOS as the load in differential VCO, Which region is best for VCO,  triode or saturation region ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.