The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 4:15am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Settling in gain-boosted opamps (Read 3569 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

Settling in gain-boosted opamps
Oct 20th, 2005, 7:11am

Hi all,

I am designing a gain-boosted opamp by modifying a folded cascode opamp.

I read the paper by Bult & Geelen and followed the guidelines to get the doublet
out of the way. However, I see mysteriously slow settling components for certain  
cases (not where I am at the limits of my output swing either, but somewhere in the middle).

I check the settling of the individual gain-boosting amps, and they seem to have reached >60 dB settling, although they continue to settle a little. Along with the 60 dB offered by my normal opamp, I expect a 120 dB overall settling accuracy, but see something about 20-30 dB lower.

Is my understanding of the setup wrong? Is it not enough if the gain-boosting auxiliary amps reach 60 dB of gain level?

Please offer your suggestions. They will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: Settling in gain-boosted opamps
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2005, 10:38pm

Hi, vivkr,

I think the DC gain of your gain-boosted amplifer is 120dB if you run AC analysis. But when you simulate the settling behavior, it takes very long time to settle into the error that you have expected. The settling time is determined by the unity gain bandwidth of your amplifer. Have you checked the unity gain bandwidth? And before the simulation, you must determine how long does it take to settle and the required unity gain bandwidth.

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2005, 12:11am

Hi Yawei,

I am actually simulating the settling behavior. The gain-boosted opamps are expected to have a gain > 60 dB.

When I look at the settling behavior of these opamps, I see that the settling error (as defined by Bult to be the ratio of the differential inputs @ virtual ground nodes to the differential output voltage of the opamp) keeps on falling with a constant slope until it flattens out at a level < - 60 dB.

So, the gain-boosting opamps have done their job, and I expect that the overall settling error will be < -120 dB because my main opamp has > 60 dB. But, I see that the overall settling error starts falling off correctly, but suddenly, it changes slope and then on, it settles very slowly. I do not understand this.

The gain-boost opamps are finished settling, and I don't expect a doublet there. The output is not beyond the allowed swing level of my opamp.

In fact, I see that the settling is fine for the largest output swing levels, where I get < -120 dB accuracy, but for some inputs less than this peak swing value, I am seeing the slow settling. For a folded cascodes, this appears to be a strange behavior.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2005, 12:33am

Hi Yawei,

I found the source of the problem (I think so). It is caused by some ideal
macromodels I was using in my simulation setup. Just as Dr. Kundert warns in his text, macromodels are the cause of endless anguish.

I had tried to code a simple, continuous model for a switch, but it seems to display interesting behavior.

The amplifier by itself is fine. Thanks for your feedback though.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #4 - Oct 22nd, 2005, 12:30am

vivkr,

You are welcome. You have shared your experience with us.

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.