The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 30th, 2024, 12:24pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noise in Power supply (Read 1899 times)
Mahbub Reja

Noise in Power supply
Oct 26th, 2005, 4:05pm

Oct 26, 2005

Hi,
Any one can please tell me what kind of power supply should I use for simulating high frequency RF ircuits (LNAs mixers, VCOs, amplifiers). If I use noisy power supply (amplitude of noise 50mv-200mv pp), I see my circuit does not work because RF input signals to LNAs and mixers very low. Should I use very clean power supply. In real case VDD and VSS PADS are connected through bond-wires. if I run simulation adding these bond wires inductors (2nH -4nH) from VDD to the power rail of the circuit and VSS to the ground-rail of the circuit, it adds excessive noise in supply and instead of signal, noise is amplified.
I am not sure, what is the practice of RF design, I should use clean power supply or use de-coupling capacitance between VDD and VSS for noisy power supply.

Thanks

Mahbub Reja

IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Re: Noise in Power supply
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2005, 3:27am

Use real circuit to mimic your noise source.

RF circuit is different from mixed-signal design. Much noise is correlated with signal, so adding sin wave in power supply can not depict the real condition.

You need to estimate your real case bonding wire inductance, thus you decide how much decoupling you need.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.