The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
puzzles from a new starter. (Read 3158 times)
trashbox
Community Member

puzzles from a new starter.
Nov 27th, 2005, 5:33pm

Hi I plan to learn VHDL-AMS modeling and I am not clear about some issues. Here they go:
1) Which simulator is needed? I have a license for ADvanced MS of Mentor. Is it OK?
2) As I know,VHDL-AMS is used to save time when we simulate mixed-signal circuits such as sigma-delta modulator in ADC and PLLs. How much can it save time? For example, a 2nd-order,signal-loop analog sigma-delta modulator will spend me one or two weeks if I use ADvanced MS of Mentor. If I use VHDL-AMS model, How much time shall I spend on it approximately?
3)How to judge whether my VHDL-AMS is correct or not? I think a reference result is needed. Is it the transistor-level simulation result(use ADvanced MS tools) or Simulink result?

Thanks a lot!

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Re: puzzles from a new starter.
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2005, 4:14am

Hi

1) AdVanceMS of Mentor is OK for mixed-signal modeling using VHDL-AMS

2) The time-efficiency gained when using MS-HDLs becomes apparent in catching errors early in the design cycle, in avoiding long SPICE simulations (transistor-level), less silicon respins...

3) This is of course a bit of an open issue..."who watches the watcher"? Smiley

I try to evaluate the behavior/correctness of my models
using:

a) intuition/common sense (e.g. opamp output should not shoot above the supply voltage)

b) mathematical formulae, relationships: does the model obey them?

c) based on design experience (if you ever designed e.g. an LNA, any weird behavior in your model will catch your attention. If you don't have design experience on a block you want to model, resort to papers or try to find someone who has experience with that block.

Kind Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
trashbox
Community Member

Re: puzzles from a new starter.
Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2005, 8:17pm

Hi Visjnoe,
Thank you for your kind reply.

Best regards,
Trashbox

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.