The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 8:59am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
mixer conversion gain different by pxf and pss? (Read 602 times)
dot13

mixer conversion gain different by pxf and pss?
Dec 01st, 2005, 3:28am

hi,
i simulate a single-in balance-out mixer using pxf according to the spectreRF user guide, and get a conversion gain -9dB, while when i use only pss,and plot the voltage gain, it's -15dB,  exactly -6dB discrepancy! what's the reason?

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: mixer conversion gain different by pxf and pss
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2005, 5:08am

I suspect you have used a port at the input, and the input is completely unmatched? Perhaps you have a high input impedance with your mixer, and so pxf is giving you the gain from the internal source. Since there is an implicit gain of 2 from the voltage source, which would then be divided by 2 if the gain matched - but if driving a high impedance you'd get an extra gain factor of 2 with pxf. With pss you're measuring the voltage gain from net to net, so the mismatch doesn't matter any more.

If your mixer does in fact have high impedance input, use a voltage source as the input instead of a port.

Note, the above is a bit of a guess - without more info on the circuit, it's hard to be sure.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
dot13

Re: mixer conversion gain different by pxf and pss
Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2005, 8:05pm

You are quite right! That's the reason.
I also find some informations on the "spectreRF user guide".
thanks a lot

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.