The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 4:46pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
saturation (Read 3429 times)
safwatonline

saturation
Dec 08th, 2005, 4:37am

hello,
this is my first post here , i am new to analog design in general , i am using orcad 9 , in my bias point simulation i found that the parameter Lin0/sat1 equal =-1
does this mean that this mos is in saturation also why is the -ve sign ,
another question is that if i have vds>vgs-vth , but vds<vdsat
and lin0/sat1 equal -1 is this in sat.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: saturation
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2005, 8:39am

I've never used orcad9, so I'm not familiar with lin0/sat1; can you look it up in the documentation?

As to vdsat: I think vdsat from channel pinch-off is related to vgs-vth, and you can also have saturation due to velocity saturation.  However, I'd expect velocity saturation to lower vdsat, so I'm not sure how you get vds>vgs-vth and vds<vdsat.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Croaker

Re: saturation
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2006, 3:41pm

For short-channel devices, velocity saturation makes Vds,sat < Vgs - Vth.  Most people refer to Vgs - Vth as Vov (overdrive).

If you are biased such that Vov is very small, I think it's possible that Vds > Vov but it is still not larger than Vds,sat.

The key point here is that Vds,sat != Vgs - Vth.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.