The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 1st, 2024, 11:28am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
instantiation of modules (Read 5011 times)
sylak

Silicon valley
instantiation of modules
Dec 14th, 2005, 1:59pm

hi all,

1. I get the 'segmentation violation' error when I instantiate this nand module

nand_gate #(.vlogic_high(1.2),.vlogic_low(0),.vtrans(0.54),.tdel(10p),.trise(20p),.tfall(2
0p)) Nand(a1,b1, out);

vlogic_high,vlogic_low ..etc are parameters declared in the module.

and I want to connect the 'in1' 'in2' and 'out' of the nand module to 'a1' 'b1' and 'out'

I am not sure as what the error signifies!

2. when instantiation , do the modules have to declared in "`include " I looked at various examples in this website, they were not declared. Does this assume the modules to be in the same directory.
I have tried the simualtion by including the module path using the `include ' /path/nand.va' ... doesnt seem to make a difference as far as the error message is concerned but Would like to know if this is necessary.

Thanks in advance!
S

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: instantiation of modules
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2005, 8:59am

I include .va models in Spectre netlists with
ahdl_include "/path/nand.va"

It appears you have a Verilog netlist, so the `include should be correct there.

Does spectre read Verilog netlists?  How do you specify the analyses?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
sylak

Silicon valley
Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2005, 1:38pm

Geoffry,

Thank you for replying!

I dont use spectre to run simulations. I use hsim which supports veriloga modules. so I write the testbench in spice and use '.hsimveriloga' statement to define the path to the veriloga module.

I have the nand gate written in veriloga and it seems to work fine when I run the simulations. I seem to have trouble only when I write a veriloga code to instantiate a module.

I have no idea as what the error means. dont know which directions to look to correct the error- the simulator, the code or the testbench. ?. Just posted it here to see if any one had this kind of problem before.

S

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Dec 21st, 2005, 7:58am

A "segmentation violation" is usually an indication of a bug in the executable: part of the program is trying to access memory that is not associated with the program, probably a pointer that wasn't updated.  So, I might suggest sending a test case off to the HSIM support folks.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.