The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 4:43pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PCI-Express jitter frequency definition (Read 2190 times)
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

PCI-Express jitter frequency definition
Dec 16th, 2005, 9:13pm

Hi,

It looks there is no definition of the jitter frequency for PCI-Ex.

Then it is hard to know that phase noise should be integrated over what frequence range.

thanks,
Neoflash

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: PCI-Express jitter frequency definition
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2005, 12:16pm

Hi,

As the PCI-Express standard is not openly available, it may be useful if you provide more information on the jitter spec.

I presume you are talking about sinusoidal jitter in the jitter tolerance specification, right? If so, in most serial link standards (GbE, FC, etc), there is a jitter tolerance mask defined for sinusoidal jitter, which I thought would be the same for PCI-Express.

In your post, ist it this jitter tolerance mask you are talking about?

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2005, 8:17pm

Paul:

thanks for the reply.

I am not talking about jitter tolerance mask.

During testing, there will be a filter for the jitter. It is normally bandpass. I am not very clear of how the spec define the low end and high end corner frequency.

THen, the calculated phase noise will be send through the filter, and be integrated over that frequency range. THat's how to get long term jitter. (phase jitter)

thanks,
Neoflash

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2005, 1:31pm

Hi,

I'm sorry but I don't still don't understand your question...

What do you mean by "there will be a filter for the jitter"? Do you mean there is an external filter for the jitter, or are you talking about your receiver frequency response?

The sentence "the calculated phase noise will be send through the filter, and be integrated over that frequency range. THat's how to get long term jitter. (phase jitter) " is even less understandable to me... I guess you are talking about cycle-to-cycle jitter versus n-cycle jitter, right?

Maybe providing some references would help my understanding.

Sorry

Paul

neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2005, 6:39pm

I am calculating long term jitter.

In theory, we should integrate phase noise from 0 to infinity. However, due to receriver noise rejection, the integration range should be change to a bandpass region.

thanks,

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2005, 11:57am

OK, I guess I got it now... You must be talking about the duration which you should consider for jitter accumulation in your receiver oscillator. John McNeill's paper "Jitter in ring oscillators" JSSC 1997 shows that this depends on the loop bandwidth of the PLL the oscillator is sitting in (I presume that's your case). Does this answer your question? Somehow I still don't see the relationship with the PCI-Express spec... Your lower bandwidth bound will be somehow defined by the jitter tolerance specification, but I guess there is no upper bound defined.

Notice McNeill's paper supposes the loop bandwidth is large enough to neglect correlated jitter sources, as considered by Hajimiri in "Jitter and phase noise in ring oscillators", JSSC 1999, which is OK in most designs and today's technologies.

Please let me know if I understood your question correctly this time...

Paul

neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #6 - Dec 21st, 2005, 1:47am

Paul:

thanks for the inputs.

The lower bound should be the receiver CDR's 3db bandwidth to track, since the jitter below that frequency will be well tracked by CDR.

The upper bound is tricky. I can not figure out any clue for a value. Shall that be infinity? My answer is Yes for now understanding. The integrated value will saturate with larger upper bound anyway.

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #7 - Dec 21st, 2005, 11:38am

Right, the lower bound is given by the jitter tolerance spec (i.e. up to what frequency the loop has to track jitter).

In SONET, the upper bound for the loop bandwidth is given by the jitter transfer spec, which defines how much of the input jitter is transferred to the output signal. This is of importance in systems using repeaters, which does not apply for short-distance protocols like PCI-Express. The maximum loop bandwidth in that case is not specified, but it definitely cannot be infinity, because there cannot be jitter accumulation exceeding the oscillator frequency.

Paul

neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #8 - Dec 21st, 2005, 10:25pm

why not?

How to prove it?

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #9 - Dec 22nd, 2005, 12:15am

Maybe my statement was a little strong, but remember that in Hajimiri's formula:
sigma_jit = kappa * sqrt(delta_T)
sigma_jit -> 0 when delta_T -> 0, i.e. when considering very high frequencies. Intuitively speaking, I would say that in the case of jitter at frequencies much larger than the bit rate, the average jitter over one bit period tends to zero.

Does that sound reasonable?

Paul

neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #10 - Dec 22nd, 2005, 5:03am

much better, man!

thank you

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.