The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 3:37pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to model BJT breakdown? (Read 7782 times)
steven
Community Member

How to model BJT breakdown?
Dec 31st, 2005, 5:40pm

I wonder how to model BJT BV_cbo or BV_ceo, where Ib or Ic would be zero? Or maybe the breakdown can only be observed from measurement?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: How to model BJT breakdown?
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2006, 4:37am

It's possible to model breakdown in simulation. Mextram 504, which includes weak avalanche, allows one to capture the reversal of base current (and hence to find the point where Ib=0).  Probably other models do, also; Hicum also includes equations for B-E Zener breakdown.  Neither of these models captures snapback, nor "strong" avalanche.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
steven
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2006, 9:48pm

I looked up Mextram model a bit for Philips. This is a c-library file and dedicated to specific simulators. So ususally how do you apply a given *.c model file when the specified simulators are not available. I vaguely recalled that general simulator like HSpice can inport a *.c model file. Is it correct?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2006, 5:11am

You should have a look at the Verilog-A description from TU Delft: http://hitec.ewi.tudelft.nl/mug/

HSpice has a Verilog-A option that will allow it to run Verilog-A models.  (The C code from Philips can't be used in HSpice.)

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
steven
Community Member

Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2006, 9:57am

Thanks Geoffery, that helps. It is good to know HSpice can run Verilog-A mode. Will look it up.

View Profile   IP Logged
steven
Community Member

Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2006, 9:29am

Hello Geoffery,

Can you point a quick link or example syntax on how to use the HSpice option for Verilog-A? I couldn't find that on my HSpice manual. Thanks for your comments.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2006, 8:42am

Code:
.options post=ascii
.hdl "diode2.va"

X1 1 0 diode2 rs=10
V1 1 0 1

.dc v1 -1 1 0.01

.end

The instance letter is always X.  Also, you have to have the right HSpice -- I think there's a "basic" HSpice that doesn't include the Verilog-A option.

steven
Community Member

Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2006, 8:19pm

I see why my HSpice doesn't have this function. It is a basic one. Anyhow, I will keep a mind note on this.

Thanks Geoffrey,
(Sorry I spelled your name wrong in my previous post. There should be a function can view what the previous posts contents were)

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.