The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 2nd, 2024, 3:24am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DNL & INL in code density test (Read 4040 times)
steven
Community Member

DNL & INL in code density test
Jan 08th, 2006, 7:49pm

Hello,

I am thinking how DNL and INL are measured in code density test. Here I refer to a paper, "full-speed testing of a/d converters", IEEE Journal of Solid State, 12/84. In short, INL needs much longer samples to measure with the same accuracy as DNL (Section IV. A, "Algorithm for A/D error computation"). It seems INL is the sum of DNL. I must have missed something here.

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: DNL & INL in code density test
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2006, 3:16am

Hello, Steven,

I don't have that journal paper. But it is true that INL is the sum of DNL.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
steven
Community Member

Re: DNL & INL in code density test
Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2006, 10:26am

Hello Yawei,

I thought a little more and came to understand the statement. When doing code density test, the histogram for the codes is plotted. Then the DNL would be regarded as the y-coordinate variance(the height of each bin) on the histogram while INL as the x-coordinate variance(the width of each bin). In this case, since the width is sampled in statistical way or large number theorem so if using the same confidence interval of the height, then a much larger number of samples has to be used to vision the true width of each bin. On the other hand, the height variance of each bin or DNL is also coming the statistical measure but only relates to the input sinusoidal signal amplitude. The algorithm on calculating the DNL shows this. So the later part of the paper, it was suggested to use FFT test on INL (and other dynamic parameters), which requires shorter samples.

I think the sum of DNL results in INL is just for derivation. In testing, INL would be tested separately because errors would corrupt the histogram (see Razavi's book "data conversion system design", page 248).

But there is still something I am not sure I have understood completely.

Thanks,
Steven

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.