The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 7:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MOS small signal output resistance model (Read 4576 times)
steven
Community Member

MOS small signal output resistance model
Jan 14th, 2006, 9:07am

Hello,

Given a MOS device at saturation, how to estimate the small signal output resistance rout?  For example, if Id doubles, rout will decrease anti-proportionally (almost) according to approximation rout=Va/Id, with Va is related to geometry parameters and Vds. However, if taking a MOS device model for a  simulation, the Gds hardly changes if Id changes. So it seems rout is not simply the relation was just outlined. Note that the simulation ensures the device is under saturation.

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: MOS small signal output resistance model
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2006, 6:41am

With some processes, 0.18u and below, the pocket or halo implant causes real trouble when trying to fit the output conductance curves.  I've seen humps in the measured data.  In that case, I don't think you'll find an easy approximation.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
steven
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2006, 3:41pm

Hi Geoffrey,

For circuit design purpose, I guess Rout is then assumed to be constant with respect to Id. In achieving enough voltage gain, we sometimes need Rout large. But it seems Rout is not well approximated by the pointed relation. Well, longer device can increase Rout.

Thanks for the information,
Steven

View Profile   IP Logged
pbs681

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2006, 6:09pm

I have 1 question. Is there any relationship between rout and rds as we know that rout is the resistance looking at the output node when transistor is on, while rds is parasitic resistor. Sorry if I asked basic question. I just graduated and still new. Please help me.
Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.