The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 19th, 2024, 11:17am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Biasing circuit for telescopic amplifier (Read 5067 times)
Croaker

Re: Biasing circuit for telescopic amplifier
Reply #15 - Feb 01st, 2006, 7:45am

FYI, here is an attempt I did this morning.  I didn't bother to beautify the schematic but you should be able to see the operating points.

attempt.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
huber
Community Member

GO BEARS!

Los Angeles
Reply #16 - Feb 1st, 2006, 9:16am

steven:
It definately looks like your cmfb isn't working.  Until you fix that it is pointless to talk about transistor sizing.  If you are using a transistor-level circuit for cmfb it may be tricky to initialize, expecially if it is a switched-cap cmfb circuit.  Try using an idealized cmfb network built with vcvs's.  It seems like all your problems with devices in triode would be fixed if your output was at 1.5V-2V where it should be.

View Profile   IP Logged
steven
Community Member

Reply #17 - Feb 1st, 2006, 10:57am

huber wrote on Feb 1st, 2006, 9:16am:
steven:
It definately looks like your cmfb isn't working.  Until you fix that it is pointless to talk about transistor sizing.  If you are using a transistor-level circuit for cmfb it may be tricky to initialize, expecially if it is a switched-cap cmfb circuit.  Try using an idealized cmfb network built with vcvs's.  It seems like all your problems with devices in triode would be fixed if your output was at 1.5V-2V where it should be.

Hello Marc and Huber,

Thanks both of you commenting on the circuit, espeically Marc's illustration example. I see why Marc picked fT rather than Id in sizing. What is your rule of thumb in picking fT?

I can use VCVS to force the CMFB work, i.e., make Voc~1.8V. In this case, Huber's comment is definitely right. However, since the circuit is using SC CMFB, there is not too much adjust on the SC CMFB network except the transistor sizes (CMFB consists of just ideal switches). I am not using transistor CMFB. This comes back Cri's comment, which he also suggested to use VCVS in CMFB. But I ended up still needing to re-size the trans after returning SC CMFB. Did I do something inefficiently?

Regards,
Steven

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #18 - Feb 1st, 2006, 11:15am

It's hard to say that there is a rule of thumb...rather, there are tradeoffs.  In the end, you have to design to fit your application.

a higher vgs gives you higher fT, but reduces swing
a shorter L gives you higher fT, but reduces output resistance

I am not totally clear on how the CMFB circuit would solve your biasing issue...as it is now, you can just manually set vbias to whatever the CMFB circuit would give.

View Profile   IP Logged
steven
Community Member

Reply #19 - Feb 2nd, 2006, 6:29pm

I made it work but not completely understand why previously the circuit didn't work: I picked Vcm=1.5 in SC CMFB previously, which didn't work. Now if picking Vcm=-1.5, everything works perfectly, the sizing, phase margin, and gain. I don't know why yet. Someone can provide a clue?

By the way, since now the GBW is only about 700MHz. Can someone provide reference on how to further improve GBW? Marc's fT selection is obviously a good way. Other ways?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #20 - Feb 3rd, 2006, 7:53am

steven wrote on Feb 2nd, 2006, 6:29pm:
I made it work but not completely understand why previously the circuit didn't work: I picked Vcm=1.5 in SC CMFB previously, which didn't work. Now if picking Vcm=-1.5, everything works perfectly, the sizing, phase margin, and gain. I don't know why yet. Someone can provide a clue?

By the way, since now the GBW is only about 700MHz. Can someone provide reference on how to further improve GBW? Marc's fT selection is obviously a good way. Other ways?

Thanks

Great!  For any circuit where a PMOS drain meets and NMOS drain it is pretty tough to say what the voltage will be without CMFB.  You basically can just visualize the Ids vs. Vds curves intersecting at a point which determines the voltage.

To increase GFT (gain*fT), increase Vgs.  The gain suffers a little but fT ~ Vov/L...Vov = Vgs - Vth.  The tradeoff is the swing suffers.

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #21 - Feb 3rd, 2006, 8:08am

Hi, someone asked me a question about gm/Id and fT.  Hopefully my answer is helpful to others, and if I am wrong in my understanding, please correct me! Smiley

---

Re: cascode tail current source.  The cascode current source is just used to get a higher output resistance, and thus performs as a better current source.  The downside is it limits the minimum input swing of the amp; it requires a larger voltage drop than a simple source  to get it looking like a current source.

gm/id is about efficiency...you want to get a lot of current change, i.e. high gm, at the lowest bias Id possible.  The best efficiency occurs at around subthreshold.  However, at subthreshold the overdrive voltage Vov=Vgs-Vth is small, and so fT is small.  People are interested into weak/moderate inversion design because both the gm/Id and fT aren't that bad.  For high-speed design you just pick a big fT knowing that gm/Id will be low.

fT is the point where short-circuit current amplification stops happening...i.e. id/ig=1  I think of it as a figure of merit...the higher the fT, the faster your circuit can potentially be.  In a real circuit you want some gain and have a load so fT isn't a reachable operating frequency.  It isn't related to the model 'falling apart'.

View Profile   IP Logged
steven
Community Member

Reply #22 - Feb 4th, 2006, 9:50am

My understanding about fT is like this: fT is the frequency when gi=id/ib=1 and can be expressed as

fT~gm/Ctot    (1)

where ~ stands for proportional and Ctot is the total capacitance. Then since gm~Id~Vov, therefore increasing Id or Vov can improve fT. However, for geometric parameters, the proportional relation is more involved since

Ctot~W*L and gm~sqrt(L/W)

Plugging back to (1), fT and L (or W) has nonlinear relation.

« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2006, 7:49pm by steven »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Steve_IC

Reply #23 - Feb 4th, 2006, 2:19pm

HI steven, Marc and all,

I am still kind of confused about gm/id, ft .  Just like Marc said: "the higher the fT, the faster your circuit can potentially be." we may tweak the transistor to make the ft big, does that mean the speed of the transistor is fast? from my understanding, "potentially faster" doesn't really mean high performance?

thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
steven
Community Member

Reply #24 - Feb 4th, 2006, 7:59pm

Hi Vhdl,

I had a typo in my post (now I corrected) on the definition of fT. Marc was right the definition. fT is the frequency when the current gain (not gm) equals 1.

I think you are confused fT and the bandwidth of an amplifier, or -3dB frequency. For one dominant-pole open loop response, the speed is determined by the -3dB frequency. However, in certain case, fT or GBW is useful in setting up a benchmark of amplifier speed. For example, when talking about amplifier settling time, fT (somewhere labeled fu or omega_u) is frequently used.

View Profile   IP Logged
holddreams

Reply #25 - Feb 16th, 2006, 5:54am

What's the meaning of "fT"?
Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #26 - Feb 17th, 2006, 10:57am

holddreams wrote on Feb 16th, 2006, 5:54am:
What's the meaning of "fT"?
Thanks.

fT is the transistion frequency.  It is the frequency where the short circuit current gain, id/ig=1.  At this frequency, the MOSFET transitions from being an amplifier to not being one.  The drain has to have a DC voltage so that the drain is ac-shorted to the source.

You can do an AC analysis and see where id/ig=1.  Another way is to do a DC op-point analysis and do a small signal analysis:
ft=gm/[2*pi*(Cgs+Cgd)]

EDIT: Oops, I think I already answered this question in this thread.  Oh well, maybe this post is more helpful.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.