The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 28th, 2024, 3:28pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to get the right resistor device layer in LVS (Read 3988 times)
jaylin79

how to get the right resistor device layer in LVS
Feb 07th, 2006, 5:30pm

Hi Guys,

I am writing a brief LVS command file recently, I use the following command to get the resistor device layer, although the dracula can find out the resistor in the layout, but there is mismatch in the resistor value for I get a smaller device layer.

size rcont1 by 2 rcont
NOT rpplus rcont rbd
ELEMENT RES[RP] rbd rcont
PARAMETER RES[RP] 300

The device layer I want to get is the Green one, but I can only get the purple one.
So can somebody tell me how to get the Green device layer.

Regards
Jay

res1.JPG

Regards
Jay
View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: how to get the right resistor device layer in
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2006, 9:02pm

Essentially the whole of the pplus diffusion around the contact contributes to the resistance, but you're trying to approximate it by extending the narrow part of the dog-bone to touch the contact - which is a little tricky to do with layer derivation. Off the top of my head I can't think of an easy way of doing this in Dracula (it does tend to help people if you mention which verification tool you're using, by the way) - I'm a bit rusty with writing Dracula extraction rules though...

One alternative approach I've used in the past is to use the Flexible LPE capability in Dracula to compensate by adding on a factor for the end effects. For example:

Code:
ELEMENT RES[Z] ZRDEV ZRTERM
PARAMETER RES[Z] 1200
LEXTRACT ZRD ZRDEV ZRTERM BY RES[H] ZRPAR &
EQUATION W=(W1+W2)/2 &
EQUATION L=AREA/W &
EQUATION RP=2 * ( 3.4 * 125.0 / W + 130 / (1 + ( W - 3.4 ) / 4.6 ) ) &
EQUATION R=(1200*L/W) + RP 

Don't worry too much about the actual numbers or equation - but the point is that the RP equation is calculating end effects - based on an estimate of the diffusion region at the ends (in this case the diffusion at the ends of the resistor was differently doped than the body of the resistor), and some allowance for contact resistance (based on an estimate of the number of contacts).

Given that my resistors were always laid out using pcells, this approach worked quite well - and was easier than trying to extract absolutely everything from the layout (which is generally the goal) - especially as the contribution of the end parts of the resistor was generally quite small compared with the body of the resistor.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2006, 9:03pm

My apologies - I just noticed that you did indeed say you were using Dracula in your original post. I didn't notice that, sorry.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
jaylin79

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2006, 9:35pm

Thanks!! Andrew

Have a nice day!
Jay

Regards
Jay
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.