The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 11:02am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
device modeling or analog circuit design eng? (Read 5373 times)
pbs681

device modeling or analog circuit design eng?
Feb 17th, 2006, 6:04pm

Hi all,
Can somebody give me and advise whether I should go for device modeling field or circuit design field. Currently I am circuit eng and have an oppurtunity to become a device modeling eng. And how if I join device modeling now and after certain period I change back to circuit designer. Is this help me to be a better circuit designer?
thanks in advance

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Re: device modeling or analog circuit design eng?
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2006, 8:30pm

I can only say that you should do what you like!

I can't imagine it would hurt to know more about devices.

Cheers,
Marc

View Profile   IP Logged
k-one

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2006, 9:30pm

Marc Murphy wrote on Mar 5th, 2006, 8:30pm:

Cheers,
Marc

Hi Marc,
Thanks for your reply. My objective is to be an analog designer. But, I think by being a device modeling eng, it will help me a lot to do my job as designer. But, I don't know to what extent should I learn about dev modeling. I plan to work as dev mod eng for 2-3 years and switch back to analog desgn field. Or maybe I just need to focus on design field and reject the offer as device modeling eng. Really need somebody to advice me on this.
Thanks in advance

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2006, 8:33am

I wouldn't think you'd be a very good device modeling engineer until after 2-3 years, so the company that hired you would have trained you for 2-3 years and then be rather unhappy that you left.  You can't be sure, either, that you'd be modeling the devices that you need to know about for design.  Could be that you'd be modeling BJTs and later designing MOSFETs.  Or maybe the company needs you to start with resistor characterization and work up (in 2-3 years) to transistors.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2006, 8:45am

k-one wrote on Mar 5th, 2006, 9:30pm:
Marc Murphy wrote on Mar 5th, 2006, 8:30pm:

Cheers,
Marc

Hi Marc,
Thanks for your reply. My objective is to be an analog designer. But, I think by being a device modeling eng, it will help me a lot to do my job as designer. But, I don't know to what extent should I learn about dev modeling. I plan to work as dev mod eng for 2-3 years and switch back to analog desgn field. Or maybe I just need to focus on design field and reject the offer as device modeling eng. Really need somebody to advice me on this.
Thanks in advance

Well, if your goal is to do analog design, I don't think you need to know all the nuts and bolts of device design.  Reading up on device stuff is probably sufficient.  I wouldn't spend 2 - 3 years on it and switch tracks if it isn't really what you want.

Cheers,
Marc

View Profile   IP Logged
extractor_man

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2006, 1:07am

Well, I would say it depends on how you manage your job.
there is sometimes a big gap between modeling people view and designers. In a certain way to be aware of the both problematic could be a real added value in your career.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.