The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 16th, 2024, 6:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
physical parameter in bsim3v3 (Read 1403 times)
pbs681

physical parameter in bsim3v3
Feb 17th, 2006, 6:48pm

Can somebody help me to list all the phycical parameter in bsim3v3? thx

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Re: physical parameter in bsim3v3
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2006, 12:19pm

You can find the model documentation on the official web site:
http://www-device.eecs.berkeley.edu/~bsim3/get.html

Hope this helps

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
pbs681

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2006, 4:28am

Paul wrote on Feb 20th, 2006, 12:19pm:
You can find the model documentation on the official web site:
http://www-device.eecs.berkeley.edu/~bsim3/get.html

Hope this helps

Paul

Thanks Paul for the website. But what I mean here is that, from more than hundred parameters in MOS model, which one is carrying physical meaning... ie tox, cj.... we know that these parameters (MOS model) are mixing of empirical and physical parameters

View Profile   IP Logged
bernd

Munich/Germany
Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2006, 5:12am

Maybe
spectre -help bsim3v3
helps, if you are a Spectre user.

Bernd

Just another lonesome cad guy
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2006, 6:26am

[quote author=pbs681 link=1140230903/0#2 date=1140524905]Paul wrote on Feb 20th, 2006, 12:19pm:
But what I mean here is that, from more than hundred parameters in MOS model, which one is carrying physical meaning... ie tox, cj.... we know that these parameters (MOS model) are mixing of empirical and physical parameters

pbs681 -
I don't think your question is well posed.  For example is CJ really physical?  One could argue that it is a fitting parameter for the capacitance per area of the source/drain diffusion; the junction itself is probably not abrupt nor linearly graded.  I think there's a continuum of sorts from the "truly physical" parameters like TOX to the "strictly empirical" parameters like VOFFCV.  And many parameters probably have default values that are computed from physical values, but you can tweak them to fit the measurements better.  (Eg, CGBO has a default value of 2*DWC*COX, which is physical, but what if you change it to 1.8*DWC*COX?)

Probably your best bet would be to find an extraction guide for BSIM3, which would tell you what parameters you could fill in "good values" for from physical process information.

-Geoffrey

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
pbs681

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2006, 3:45am

[quote author=Geoffrey_Coram link=1140230903/0#4 date=1140531974]pbs681 wrote on Feb 21st, 2006, 4:28am:
Paul wrote on Feb 20th, 2006, 12:19pm:
But what I mean here is that, from more than hundred parameters in MOS model, which one is carrying physical meaning... ie tox, cj.... we know that these parameters (MOS model) are mixing of empirical and physical parameters

pbs681 -
I don't think your question is well posed.  For example is CJ really physical?  One could argue that it is a fitting parameter for the capacitance per area of the source/drain diffusion; the junction itself is probably not abrupt nor linearly graded.  I think there's a continuum of sorts from the "truly physical" parameters like TOX to the "strictly empirical" parameters like VOFFCV.  And many parameters probably have default values that are computed from physical values, but you can tweak them to fit the measurements better.  (Eg, CGBO has a default value of 2*DWC*COX, which is physical, but what if you change it to 1.8*DWC*COX?)

Probably your best bet would be to find an extraction guide for BSIM3, which would tell you what parameters you could fill in "good values" for from physical process information.

-Geoffrey

Hi Geoffrey,
I totally agree with you. My question was not well posed since I am still new in this field. That is what I mean. Sorry for that. Anyway I have question regarding Cj. In order to extract the Cj, we draw special test structure that include the Cj requirement extraction, ie area intensive and prephery intensive test structure. That means, Cj is directly extracted from the structure and not from the calculation. That is why I am reffering this parameter as a physical parameter. Is it correct?

Where can I find an extraction guide for BSIM3. Really appreciate if anybody can help on this.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2006, 6:21am

This web page http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/IPRO/Software/Catalog/Description/bsim3v2.0.html says that an extraction guide for BSIM3 is available for $1.  You may find it for free if you spend enough time with Google.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
pbs681

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2006, 7:28am

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Feb 24th, 2006, 6:21am:
This web page http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/IPRO/Software/Catalog/Description/bsim3v2.0.html says that an extraction guide for BSIM3 is available for $1.  You may find it for free if you spend enough time with Google.

Thanks Geoffrey. I will try to get it.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.