The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 9:49pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CMFB question (Read 2316 times)
4analog

CMFB question
Feb 23rd, 2006, 7:00am

Hi,

I have a  question about the common mode errors.  Why is the common mode error  not a problem in single ended diff pairs...?

The way I understand the common mode errors is that it occurs when there is a mismatch in the PMOS and NMOS current sources which cause the output at each end of the diff pair to change to match there currents.

This case can also occur in a single ended dif pair, but why do we have CMFB ckts only for fully-differential amplifiers..?

Any reponse is apprecited.

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: CMFB question
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2006, 8:09am

i think when you have a drain of a pmos meeting an nmos you do generally have to have some way of defining the DC point... which in a single ended case is usually done by the next stage or feedback or something.
in differential circuits, with differential outputs, a convenient way to do this is CMFB (detect the commonmode by averaging the differential output and use that in a control loop).
In the single-ended output case there is no "CM" as such, just the output DC level which might need controlling, so it these cases it is not termed CMFB as your are not feedback the common-mode.

View Profile   IP Logged
zhonghan

china
Re: CMFB question
Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2006, 12:39am

For single ended differential amps, the load of the diffrential pair is a current mirror but not current source.  When the current of  the tail current sourse is increased, the current mirror can make a response.  For full  differential amps ,  the upper current sourses are also biased , which can induce mismatch.      

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.