The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 4:59am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Behavioural modelling in HSpice (Read 6969 times)
aamar
Community Member

Germany
Behavioural modelling in HSpice
Feb 24th, 2006, 2:46am

Hallo,
Is there a way to describe behavioural model to be used in HSpice (the model should include conditional statments)? (something like SpectreHDL with Spectre netlists).

i.e. I have a voltage controlled current source which depends on the Gate-Source voltage of a transistor, where the source is not constantly defined since it depends on the direction of the current in the transistor.

Best regards,

amar

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Behavioural modelling in HSpice
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2006, 6:13am

Some HSpice licenses include hsp-vacomp for Verilog-A compilation (not the "basic" hspice, but a somewhat more expensive one).

Also, HSpice allows fairly general expressions in their dependent source equations; you can include absolute values, and you may be able to include conditional expressions '(vds>0) * expr1 + (vds<=0) * expr2'

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aamar
Community Member

Germany
Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2006, 6:38am

Dear Mr. Coram,

Thanks for your reply,

I don't have the -vacomp license.

and since you replied and I am searching in the Hspice manual for such conditional commands but I can't find it, can you tell me plz what exactly should I search for.

By the way, the only conditional possibility is included in N,PPWL sources, but it is not helpful in my case because the expression which I am using is depending on two values (i.e. bsource (voltage, current)) and in the G vccs PWL source I think I can only define the current depending on one parameter.

The other solution which I am trying is a two position ideal switch, which is controlled with  the source drain voltage and it should switch between two models (subcircuits).

Note: I have done it already with spectreHDL and spectre.

Thanks again

aamar

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2006, 6:02am

Without knowing exactly what you are trying to do, I'm having a little trouble helping.  I'm a little concerned that putting in conditional statements may introduce a discontinuity that you might not really want.

If you want something that depends on both V and I, you could certainly convert the I to a V using a CCVS, and then combine the two Vs with a two-input VCVS.

Also, consider using a voltage-controlled resistor.  I found this equation

Rpure 3 4 'Rsh/mf*(l-dl)/(w-dw)*tfacp*(1+pvcp1*(tanh(pvcp2*abs(v(3,4)/(l-dl))+pvcp3)-tanh(
pvcp3)))'

in an HSpice model file.

HSpice certainly gives you enough rope to hang yourself. Smiley

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.