The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 9:25am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
V(G,B) restriction on MOS devices (Read 1564 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

V(G,B) restriction on MOS devices
Apr 11th, 2006, 12:26am

Hi,

The restriction on V(G,S) and V(G,D) is quite a well known one and easy to understand for me
as these are the voltages across the gate oxide. However, I have often heard people mention to me
that the V(G,B) should also be kept within the same limits. This is not quite clear to me.

It is also not mentioned in any papers on bootstrapped switch design where it ought to cause
problems if it really is an issue.

As far as I can make out, the B (bulk) node is shielded from the G by the presence of the channel in
between. Hence, if one were to increase V(G) beyond a certain point,

V(G) > V(S) + Vth(V(S)), including body effect, then the channel would be formed
within a matter of a few device transit times, thus shielding the bulk. As the time taken for
the channel to form would be much less than the risetime of the signal driving the gate ON (coming
form another on-chip device, and hence limited by RC), this can be neglected.

Why then ought we to worry about V(G,B)? I think the real V(G,B) is just the value
I mentioned above and would be ~ V(S),max + Vth (V(S),max).

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
gitarrelieber

Villach
Re: V(G,B) restriction on MOS devices
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2006, 5:04am

Hi vivkr,
I have also used bootstrapped MOS switch recently. In my opinion, there should not be any restriction on Vgb as long as the channel is conductive. Because the main concern here is that the gate oxide should not be over-stressed. As long as Vgs or Vgd is not more than VDD, the gate is safe. I have also discussed this issue with our foundries. And they have also confirmed that in this condition V(G, B) can be set as high as 2-3 times of VDD without causing reliability problem.
I think if you are not sure about this voltage limit, just contact your foundry.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.