The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 8:37am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to use noise_table function (Read 4658 times)
yaxazaa

how to use noise_table function
Apr 14th, 2006, 7:04pm

Could someone explain more detail about how to use noise_table function?  My understanding is that the output should be defined as electrical, is that right?  For example, I have a table of phase noise verse frequency. The table should be:

phase_noise <= noise_table ({

1      -10
10   -50
1k   -89
1m -120
});

How do I call it in the top level? If I call the noise table, but try to conveter them to rad^2/hz, can someone tell me how to do it? Besides this, if I want the phase error which is "rad", how should I integrated them in time domain?

Thanks,

View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Re: how to use noise_table function
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2006, 1:48am

you will have an output node that needs to have the noise on it..
real phasenoise;

analog begin
phasenoise = noise_table( ....
V(out) <+ transition(in?vhi:vlo, 0, trf, trf) + phasenoise;
--
When NOT running a noise analysis phasenoise = 0 so contributes NOTHING to the output..
Jonathan

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
yaxazaa

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2006, 10:59pm

Actually what I am really interested is the phase noise affects  time domain information which is jitter. Detailly here is the steps but how to implement:

1. After read in an three columns' table of frequency vs phase noise, and slope of phase noise information, if my compiler doesn't have "scanf" function, how do I do line by line reading in and manuplation?

2. How do I integrate phase noise between certain frequencies in time domain? For example, do integration of ( (phase noise/10) * (frequency/fc)**phase_noise_slope) from frequency1 to frequency2, which fc is a constant.

3. After the step 2, then this will be phase uncertainty. Can I just add it to the time domain signal as some kind of jitter concept?

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2006, 5:19am

yaxazaa wrote on Apr 21st, 2006, 10:59pm:
Actually what I am really interested is the phase noise affects  time domain information which is jitter.

The short answer is: you can't use noise_table to affect time domain information (jbdavid's post implies this, but says it differently).

A while ago, I found  a couple papers at the IEEEXplore web site on implementing 1/f-like noise in the time domain.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
yaxazaa

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2006, 8:25pm

Could you post the paper here please?

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2009, 10:13am

yaxazaa wrote on Apr 14th, 2006, 7:04pm:
Could someone explain more detail about how to use noise_table function?  My understanding is that the output should be defined as electrical, is that right?  For example, I have a table of phase noise verse frequency. The table should be:

phase_noise <= noise_table ({

1      -10
10   -50
1k   -89
1m -120
});

How do I call it in the top level? If I call the noise table, but try to conveter them to rad^2/hz, can someone tell me how to do it? Besides this, if I want the phase error which is "rad", how should I integrated them in time domain?

Thanks,

Can we load the vector from a file in verilogA, instead of manually input them in the noise_table() function?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2009, 5:35am

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.