The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 1st, 2024, 4:56pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VerilogA CDR model: RMS jitter and BER (Read 10080 times)
djr77

Canada
VerilogA CDR model: RMS jitter and BER
Apr 24th, 2006, 11:49am

Hi,
I'm modelling a 5Gb/s CDR circuit, and at the moment everything is in VerilogA.  What I'm trying to do is properly model the relationship between RMS jitter and BER.  If we assume all the noise is strictly gaussian the relationship is pretty easy to calculate:
   BER = 2*Q(T/(2*Jrms))        (where T is the period)
http://www.ee.ucla.edu/~razavi/papers/Conferences/L&RCICC2003.pdf

My problem is that I'm not getting this, or anything close to this.  My VerilogA VCO model has gaussian noise and I'm able to accurately generate RMS jitter values (dump the periods to a text file and find the variance in Matlab).  My testbest is as follow: I have a VerilogA BERT to find any errors and I keep on increasing the RMS jitter until I start to see errors.  I run the 5Gb/s for 2us after it locks which gives me 10K bits.  At the point where I get one error I'm at a BER of 1e-4 and at the point where I get ten errors I'm at a BER of 1e-3.  I run the simulations a bunch of times to get something that's statistically valid, and the results are pretty consistant.  Theoretically I should be able to have my RMS jitter as high as 26.7ps and 32ps for a BER of 1e-4 and 1e-3 (respectively), but I can't get anything higher than around 10ps of RMS jitter before everything breaks down.  I would expect some deviation from the ideal due to simulation errors, but not this much.  Can anyone point out something I'm doing wrong, or does anyone have any suggestions on what I could change?

Thanks,
Dave

View Profile   IP Logged
gitarrelieber

Villach
Re: VerilogA CDR model: RMS jitter and BER
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2006, 4:55am

Hi Dave,

It seems from the description "... dump the **periods** to a text file and find the variance in Matlab..." that the jitter that you are referring to is period-to-period jitter. For a same VCO, the measured period-to-period (or cycle-to-cycle) jitter is normally much smaller than its long term jitter, which means that the actually long-term jitter of your PLL can be much larger than the value you assumed. Therefore, I suspect that the jitter you used to stress you PLL is too large.

I would suggest you to lock you PLL to a jitter-free reference clock source, trigger you waveform viewer or MATLAB routine to this reference clock, and plot the jitter histogram of the PLL output signal. You will probably see larger jitter than you have assumed. If it is so, your requirement on design is too high. Just try to relax the jitter to the appropriate amount.

By the way, I think it make more sense to jitterize your input data rather than the VCO. This is more realisitic, since a LC-VCO that you will most probably use in your 5Gbps high performance design will definitively have an RMS jitter less than 1ps (asuming the jitter is calculated by integrating the free running VCO phase noise from 50kHz to 80MHz). Furthermore, you can also test the jitter transfer function and jitter tolerance of the CDR with this setup. To do this, you need to trigger your PRBS generator with a jittered clock source.

Regards,

Jiawen Hu
Analog Design

View Profile   IP Logged
djr77

Canada
Re: VerilogA CDR model: RMS jitter and BER
Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2006, 1:28pm

Hi Jiawen,
Thank you for your reply, you're absolutely right, I was measuring rms cycle-to-cycle jitter when what I need to be working with is rms period jitter, which is significanty higher.
I'm still having trouble getting my simulations to match that equation, but I think it's getting there.
Thanks again,
Dave

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.