The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 30th, 2024, 5:06pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ESD I/O pads? (Read 6432 times)
gsuarez

ESD I/O pads?
Apr 26th, 2006, 2:30pm

Hi I just want to know if there any thumb rule regarding the size of the diodes in the pad ESD protection. Any help will be appreciated...

gs

View Profile   IP Logged
mikki33
Community Member

Analog/Mixed
Signal/High Speed

Israel
Re: ESD I/O pads?
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2006, 2:28am

Generally, it is ESD transistors (with ESD layout and si-blocked layer) which are using as the diodes. Sizing and topology you are getting from design rules documentation (for example for very widely used process, W of one finger should range between 25 and 50 um). Number of fingers are derived from requirements of ESD protection. So, the total W may reach 200-500 um.

If the application is not high speed, you don't need to invent the bysicle, use standard IO library from, for example Artisan, VST or any other vendor. They are silicon proven and pass all ESD checks (HBM and CDM).

If the application is high speed, you have to compromize ESD performance vs. diodes parasitics. For example 1kV or 500V (HBM) instead of 2kV. The diodes sizing is scaling accordingly.

Michael

If you don't have time to do it good
you will find time to do it again
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: ESD I/O pads?
Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2006, 9:46am

Here is a writeup on designing ESD protection that I did for one of the magazines:

-- schematic is in the attachement --

Circuits for Electro-Static Discharge Protection

Designing for Amps of Current Equals Kilovolts of ESD Protection

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com

When presented with the subject of ESD circuits, many designers run the other way. Kilovolts applied to a transistor that normally functions with less than a volt applied? How do they do that? Let’s take a look at what happens in an ESD event and see how to create the circuits to deal with it.

The figure shows a typical test case and the associated circuits. CESD, RHBM, and SW1 provide a circuit model to represent the ESD stimulus. RHBM is 1500 ohms in order to represent the Human Body Model (HBM) or is set to 0 ohms to represent the Machine Model (MM) situation. The JEDEC standard for ESD testing sets CESD to 100pf for the HBM, and 200pf for the MM. Polarity of VESD can be either positive or negative.

Visualization of ESD events needs to consider that the chip is not yet soldered to a PCB, or may still be an unpackaged die. Consequently, the static voltage applied to the input pin needs to be modeled without power supplies, or any external circuitry. The primary issue is limiting the resulting VGate relative to Vpower and VBulk, the internal bulk ground. Protecting the MOS gate oxide is what this is all about.

When the switch closes, the initial current surge due to VESD is largely defined by the RHBM for the HBM case, and by the equivalent series resistance of a forward biased diode for the MM case. The combination of these defines the VGate potential.

A negative ESD event is fairly straightforward, VESD is negative, the switch closes, and VGate gets pulled below VBulk, providing forward bias for D2. This leads to a high initial current surge, which can peak in multiple amperes. This becomes the defining issue in ESD circuit effectiveness. For the negative event, the series resistance inherent to both diode and the connection paths determines the magnitude of VGate.

The high currents require careful modeling of everything in the series path impedance associated with the diode. The voltage that appears at VGate becomes an exercise in high current voltage division. SPICE tools can be used to provide an approximate simulation of the ESD circuit and how it responds. However, the diode model needs to be valid for high currents to be meaningful. Ideal diodes presented in some design kit configurations are invalid at high currents.

The positive ESD event is a little different. VESD is positive, and when SW1 closes, VGate rises above Vpower and D1 is forward biased. A high voltage again needs to be avoided at Vgate and thus a low impedance return path is needed. This is done by providing a switched clamp between Vpower and VBulk, through which the high current return path is created. The clamp also sees amps of current and needs appropriate models.
The architecture of the clamp can be as simple as an NMOS switch, which detects a large dv/dt event, or various SCR type devices are also available on a CMOS process. For fabless design groups, the NMOS works reasonably well, and does not require the model and layout development needed for the SCR’s.

Special layout considerations include:
•      Low resistance, heavily contacted diode structures
•      Low resistance, high current metal interconnects for signals
•      Oversized geometry on components due to currents.
•      Perimeter substrate contacts closely placed around substrate-based structures
•      Perimeter well tie ups closely placed around well-based structures
•      High current grounding and tie up connection paths

Special considerations for simulation and modeling include:
•      Accurate diode models for high currents.
•      Simulation error tolerances configured to allow kilovolts and millivolts at the same time
•      Test benches representing the chip in “not yet soldered down” situations.
•      ESD needs to function for both packaged and unpackaged devices.

Conclusions
Basic ESD circuits are within the capability of any transistor level designer. Although a lot of pre-fabricated ESD circuits are available in I/O cells, the need often arises for custom I/O’s to suit special needs. Also, ESD circuits consume the most area in I/O circuits, and custom designs can reduce overall chip size. Concentrating on the high current aspects of the problem allows successful design, and this can be especially valuable in space constrained chips.

References:

Available at www.jedec.org

Jedec Standard 22-A114-B – Human Body Model for ESD Testing
Jedec Test Method A115-B – Machine Model for ESD Testing

image002.gif

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.