The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 19th, 2024, 7:20am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The definition of worst case speed model (Read 11053 times)
Croaker

Re: The definition of worst case speed model
Reply #15 - Jun 22nd, 2006, 4:28am

ACWWong wrote on Jun 7th, 2006, 5:21am:
sorry to butt-into this conversation... i agree with mikki... slow speed for CMOS circuits is usually at high temperature... inspite of vth reduction...

My understanding is that mobility is increasing (as temp goes up) at low temperatures because the ions will have less effect on a hotter carrier.  Then mobility decreases because the lattice vibrates and there are collisions.  So the curve of mobility vs. temp is an inverted 'V'.

The Vth change is -0.6 mV/K but mobility goes down with T^(-1.5), so yes, mobility is going to really affect your circuit speed more.  Plus Ids is a linear function of Vgs-Vth with short-channel devices, so the temp has less of an effect on current via Vth than for square-law devices.

Cheers,
Marc

P.S. I am using the handle 'Croaker' now.  It comes from the 'Black Company' books.

View Profile   IP Logged
akhtaralam

Re: The definition of worst case speed model
Reply #16 - Jun 22nd, 2006, 5:42am

Thanks Vivek, I'm fully in sync with your explanation.

Thanks,
-Akhtar

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.