The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 19th, 2024, 5:14am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The definition of worst case speed model (Read 11040 times)
reactgary

The definition of worst case speed model
May 08th, 2006, 2:38am

Hi all,

I am trying to simulate some circuit in cadence. The foundary (AMS) provided
some worst case speed model. So, what is the definition of worst case speed
model? Is it consider the effect of the worst case process parameter, is it included
the effect of mismatch?

Thank you

Gary

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: The definition of worst case speed model
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2006, 3:20am

Hi Gary,

Worst-case speed has nothing to do with mismatch. It typically implies high transistor VT, and low mobility.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
reactgary

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2006, 11:30am

Hi Vivek,

Thank you for your answer

Gary

View Profile   IP Logged
mikki33
Community Member

Analog/Mixed
Signal/High Speed

Israel
Reply #3 - May 17th, 2006, 3:15am

vivkr wrote on May 8th, 2006, 3:20am:
Hi Gary,

Worst-case speed has nothing to do with mismatch. It typically implies high transistor VT, and low mobility.

Regards
Vivek

And high temperature as well

If you don't have time to do it good
you will find time to do it again
View Profile   IP Logged
raf

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2006, 2:52pm

The temperature you have to set yourself. Probably to 120.

View Profile   IP Logged
hamed

Athens, Greece
Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2006, 2:14am

* Referring to last comment about temperature:
The Vt of CMOS transistor decreases as temparature increases, So in worst case for speed, one has to combine lowest temperature with low speed corner (high Vt).

Hamed

View Profile   IP Logged
always@smart

ASIA
Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2006, 5:14am

hamed wrote on Jun 2nd, 2006, 2:14am:
* Referring to last comment about temperature:
The Vt of CMOS transistor decreases as temparature increases, So in worst case for speed, one has to combine lowest temperature with low speed corner (high Vt).

Hamed

Hamed,

I agree with you. Worst case supposed to be high Vth, Low mobility and at low temperature (-40). In this case, circuit usually produce lowest current, therefore lowest speed.

Regards,
Smart

Best Regards,
Smart
View Profile   IP Logged
mikki33
Community Member

Analog/Mixed
Signal/High Speed

Israel
Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2006, 4:09am

I can't agree with that. The degradation of mobility with growing temperature is going much faster then reduction of Vt.
So, use SS process corner, the lowerst supply voltage and the highest possible junction temperature

Take ring oscillator of 7 invertors and check the frequency as a function of temperature in TRAN simulation and won't be surprized.

View Profile   IP Logged
hamed

Athens, Greece
Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2006, 4:30am

Hi mikki33,
Please check out the following:
"Analysis and Design of Analog Integrated Circuits"
Gray, Hursr, Lewis, Meyer - (Foth Edition)
page 47,48
Regarding your special example, there could be other reasons for.  
Just to give you an idea, consider another similar example: with cascading few inverters you decrease the delay and increase the speed!!!

Hamed

View Profile   IP Logged
mikki33
Community Member

Analog/Mixed
Signal/High Speed

Israel
Reply #9 - Jun 7th, 2006, 4:43am

Ok. I am designing CMOS analog during last 11 years, and according to my experience, high temperature increases delays. I just did the simulation, I suggested in my previous post. Ring oscillator, 7 inverters, 0.13 u process from very respectable FAB, model: BSIM3v3, supply 1.2V and 3 different TEMP 25, 70 and 125.
No parasitics, ideal supply.
The slowest corresponds to 125 deg C.

1_001.GIF

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #10 - Jun 7th, 2006, 5:21am

sorry to butt-into this conversation... i agree with mikki... slow speed for CMOS circuits is usually at high temperature... inspite of vth reduction...

View Profile   IP Logged
fran2k5

Reply #11 - Jun 7th, 2006, 8:15am

Hello everybody,

I agree with mikki33 as well. Please note that the degradation of mobility depends on the movement of the crystalline lattice.

Regards,

fran2k5

View Profile   IP Logged
hamed

Athens, Greece
Reply #12 - Jun 14th, 2006, 6:23am

Hi all,
I think one has to be careful when defining "worst case" for analog or digital designs.
While in analog circuits, Vth is the most meaningful parameter which "Slow Cornet" is defined based on that, in digital circuits gds and capacitors  determine performance of the circuit in terms of the speed, and Vth is almost meaningless. That's why the "slow corner" gets worse if temperature decreases (Vth increases).
In addition there are some cases in which the interaction of devices behaviour changes the whole performance in a direction that may looks strange.

Hamed

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #13 - Jun 19th, 2006, 6:00am

hamed wrote on Jun 14th, 2006, 6:23am:
Hi all,
I think one has to be careful when defining "worst case" for analog or digital designs.
While in analog circuits, Vth is the most meaningful parameter which "Slow Cornet" is defined based on that, in digital circuits gds and capacitors  determine performance of the circuit in terms of the speed, and Vth is almost meaningless. That's why the "slow corner" gets worse if temperature decreases (Vth increases).
In addition there are some cases in which the interaction of devices behaviour changes the whole performance in a direction that may looks strange.

Hamed

Hi Hamed,

I would be wary of making a statement like that. The most important parameter in analog design is arguably the transconductance (Gm) of the device. In fact, even in digital circuits, which are analog in reality, the same holds equally true.

And Gm depends first on mobility of the device (Kn'= un*Cox). Vth is a composite of several quantities, and ideally ought not to influence the speed. However, a larger Vth implies a higher overdrive to achieve the same Gm in the device. So both un and Vth are instrumental here.
The fundamental speed of the device is proportional to un/L, and hence shorter channels offer higher speed due to reduced transit time.

Please keep in mind the following:

1. Vth variation across process is strongly dependent on doping and oxide contamination as far as I know (Vth here implies threshold voltage).

2. If wafer A and B have the same un (mobility) & Cox & L but differ only in Vth, then the wafer with the larger Vth is the slower one. However, Vth alone cannot provide speed information.

3. Given a wafer, the speed will typically reduce with temperature despite the reduction in Vth at higher temperature. This is due to the fact that the mobility reduction due to higher temperatures has a stronger impact on speed than Vth reduction. Hence, the worst-speed situation is for worst-speed process (highest Vth, lowest Kn') and highest temperature with lowest supply.

4. Thus, the worst-speed corner assumes lowest un, highest Vth, and also longest L (in good process models).

5. Perhaps there are some special circuits which behave a bit differently, but in general the device transit time should increase as the temperature goes up, and this is the fundamental criteria for testing the speed of a device.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
hamed

Athens, Greece
Reply #14 - Jun 22nd, 2006, 1:42am

Hi Vivek,
Thanks for your comprehensive and useful note.

Regards
Hamed

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.