The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 28th, 2024, 1:50pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hierarchical Verilog Code with SpectreVerilog (Read 4839 times)
schehrazi
Community Member

University of CA, LA
Hierarchical Verilog Code with SpectreVerilog
May 19th, 2006, 12:25am

I have this hierarchical Verilog code which instantiates some other modules in it. Now, I have created a symbol for this code and have placed it in a schematic. When I run a SpectreVerilog Simulation on this, I get an error messge saying

Module premitive ... not defined.

I suspect it does not recognize the instantiated module although it is in the same library as the higher level module. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: Hierarchical Verilog Code with SpectreVerilog
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2006, 10:49am

does the hierarchy editor (config view) pick up the verilog hierarchy ? it should list the verilog sub modules.

If this is not the case then this must be corrected. I haven't used spectreVerilog in a while, and as I am an analogue person, I guess I would create symbol and functional views for all the bits of verilog code in dfII format (cellname->viewname), then i think the config view will pick them up nicely.
To create the dfII format cellname->functional, I would use create cellview using verilog-editor in dfII to ensure the parser and auto-symbol generation are invoked. That way you'll know if you have any verilog code which the somewhat old verilogXL executable linked to in spectreVerilog doesn't like.

cheers

aw

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #2 - May 19th, 2006, 10:58am

Oh one more thing to confirm is that the cellname is EXACTLY the same as the module name (first module declaration line).
so say cellname is Modulator in dfII, the verilog code must start:

module Modulator (....)

using

module modulator (...) would fail.

the compiler is very picky about cellnames matching the module names...

View Profile   IP Logged
schehrazi
Community Member

University of CA, LA
Reply #3 - May 19th, 2006, 1:59pm

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I actually fixed the problem after talking to a few groupmates of mine who were not in the lab last night. Here is the solution.
The hiererchy editor does not recognize the instantiated cells in a Verilog code (at least it did not do it in mine). I had to set the directory where the modules I instantiated were located manually. After opening Analog Environment, choose SpectreVerilog as the simulator. Then, go to Simulation -> Options -> Digital and write the path to your library in the "Library Directories". That will take care of the problems. Make sure, if you are instantiating any standard cells, you should add the path to that standard cell library as well. You might like to include some library files as well.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.