The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 7:24am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
loop stability question (Read 3244 times)
RobertZ
Community Member

the art of analog

San Diego, CA
loop stability question
May 26th, 2006, 10:14pm

Hi,

I designed a fully differential OTA, and there is a negative feedback (resistor divider) from output to input.
There is also a CMFB inside this OTA.

In  CM sense, the first path(resistor divider) is postive, while the CMFB is negative feedback.
As I know, the first one should be weak, so that in overall, the system is stable.

When I checked the loop gain of the CMFB loop with the other feedback path (resistor divider) closed, I got a 0 degree phase at DC, which means a positve feedback?? If I break the resistor divider feedback path and check the CMFB loop gain, I got 180 degrees at DC.  

but I also did transient simulation, eg, step vdd, the CMFB loop looks stable.

Is this circuit stable? or any concern?

Thanks!!

Thanks,
Robert
View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: loop stability question
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2006, 5:08am

Without considering the specifics of your circuit, spectre has a stability analysis (called "stb") which can be used to analyse both single-ended and differential loops - did you try using that? With the differential probe (called cmdmprobe or dmcmprobe, I forget), you can look at either the common mode or differential mode stability.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RobertZ
Community Member

the art of analog

San Diego, CA
Reply #2 - May 30th, 2006, 7:20pm

I didn't know that analysis before. I will try that.
Thx!

Thanks,
Robert
View Profile   IP Logged
raf

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2006, 2:41pm

I don't really understand your question, but the step response is directly related to your phase margin. So if your step response has no ringing you are fine.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.