The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 10:17am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Some questions about Ken's paper: Predicting...... (Read 4922 times)
lunren
Community Member

Asia
Some questions about Ken's paper: Predicting......
May 27th, 2006, 1:44am

Dear all,

I am a new comer to this forum. Let me first give my honest thanks to Ken for his great works. Recently, I read the paper by Ken"Predicting the phase noise and jitter of PLL-Based frequency synthesizers", It is really a wonderful work for pll disigners. Afer reading the paper, however, I am confused by some questions maybe due to my short knowledge. I know Ken is very busy, so I hope other experienced experts who read the paper can give me some hints.
1) with pss and pnoise analysis, I ploted the phase noise curve. In fact the curve is L not Sphi, My first question is how can I get a curve of Sphi?
2) with the curve of L, acorrding to Ken's paper "Predicting the phase noise ...", page 33, we can calculate the jitter of the circuit for example a VCO. But I am confused by the fact that: when I used L=-71dBc/Hz at 100KHz from the carrier (f0=409MHz), the jitter is 3.39ps; when I used L=-42dBc at 10KHz from the carrier (f0=409MHz), the jitter is 9.59ps. I am confused by the way to calculate jitter according to Ken's paper. Which one can I accept as my jitter? What's the exact meaning of the jitter culculated from equation(74)? It is the period jitter just at the offset frequency "point" or some thing  else?
3) I find another paper about conversion from phase noise to jitter. http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/3359. From the paper, the jitter is calculated by integrating L from for example f1 to f2. What's the difference between Ken's method and maxim's?

Best Regards,

Lunren
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Some questions about Ken's paper: Predicting..
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2006, 7:32am

1) See (27).
2) if your jitter changes based on which offset frequency you use, it is an indication that flicker noise is present, which invalidates the formula used to predict jitter. In fact, even the metric used to characterize jitter is invalid when flicker noise is present.
3) I don't know. I'll try to take a look at this paper and get back to you.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
lunren
Community Member

Asia
Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2006, 12:42am

Dear Ken,

Thank you a lot for your explanation. According to your answer, I reread your papers and some related materials today. I also resimulated my VCO. I got the phase noise plot (please see attachment).  The phase noise ramp down by -30dB/dec until about 1MHz. Offset frequency above 1MHz, the slope of the phase noise  increases to some value but still smaller than -20dB/dec. The phase noise becomes flat above 10MHz. Normally the phase noise caused by the white noise proportional to 1/f2. But in my simulation result, there is no abvious area where the phase noise is proportional to 1/f2. Does this mean the flicker noise dominates too much than the white noise in my VCO over a wide frequency band?

vco_phase_noise.JPG

Best Regards,

Lunren
View Profile   IP Logged
swicap

Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2006, 12:11am

3). The formula in ken's paper gives short term periods rms jitter,
and Maxim's application note is used to predict long term periods rms jitter.

View Profile   IP Logged
David Lee

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2006, 10:40pm

2) In Ken's paper, (74) gives rms period jitter for a VCO, caused by thermal noise and shot noise. This does not include the effect of 1/f noise.
3) There are many different PLL jitter specs. To understand the relationship among them, have a look at:
David C. Lee, "Analysis of Jitter in Phase-Locked Loops",
IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, Volume 49, No 11, Nov 2002, Pages 704-711

- David
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.