The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 6:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
pnoise result from Ken's verilog-A vco model? (Read 2002 times)
jvbws

pnoise result from Ken's verilog-A vco model?
Aug 09th, 2006, 2:12pm

Hi,

I've used verilog-A models for VCOs before.  Typically they provide a sinusoidal output.  I model the phase noise by providing thermal noise at the vco tuning port.  A resistor sized appropriately for the desired noise @ a particular offset can accomplish this.  I simulate using PSS and PNOISE, and get the desired phase noise profile at the vco output.

But when I use the verilog-A VCO model proposed in "Modeling Jitter in PLL-based Frequency Synthesizers", the same trick doesn't seem to work for me and I'm wondering if someone can offer an explanation as to why?  The output of this model is a square wave as opposed to the sine wave model I'm accustomed to using, but shouldn't the effect of the noise at the VCO input on the square wave zero-crossing be captured in a PSS/PNOISE solution?

Thanks,
Jeff

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.