The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 21st, 2024, 1:29am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plotting Cgs vs time (Read 5266 times)
Nick

Plotting Cgs vs time
Jun 07th, 2006, 3:09am

Hello,

I am using SpectreRF transient analysis and would like to see how the Cgs of a transistor varies with time when the latter is driven by a large sin signal. I have used the infotimes field at the advanced options of transient analysis to save more than one operating points, but have not managed to find a way to plot the values of the model parameters. I would like to do so for the whole transient simulation.

Thank you,
Nick

Nick
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: Plotting Cgs vs time
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2006, 4:16am

if you save infotimes then you can plot cgs at those times using:

OPT("/I0","cgs")

from the calculator...

for every point in a transient seems overkill... i guess this is not required as if you chose say 10 infotimes a cycle you should get a very good idea of cgs variation...

View Profile   IP Logged
Nick

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2006, 4:29am

Thank you for the answer.
This leads to another problem...

I am using RF transistors that seam to be described by a macro model developed around the model of the standard ones. The result is that I cannot use any transistor parameter / operating point annotation on the schematic or functions of the calculator such as vt, opt...etc

What I usually do is print results (i.e. op.points) in the print result window, or check values from the calculator browser.

Given that, do you know of another way to plot the saved results?

Thanks,
Nick

Nick
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2006, 5:11am

if its a macromodel RF fet instantiating a standard fet but with several RF addons (like Rg, Rs, Rd, Rb, etc.) then can you not just decend in the schematic before the annotation and calculator select functions to work on the standrad fet ? ie use something like OPT("/I0/I1","cgs")

If you use the results browser, you can right/centre click to bring up options for expression or plot. Have tried this ? e.g. if my migrate to in the results brower to
psf->Run1->tran_info-tran_info->sweepvariable->"An_infotimeX"->tran-X_tran_Info-
info-I0(my fet)->cgs
then right/centre click to get the expression you get:

pv( "I0" "cgs" ?result "tran_info-tran_info" ?resultsDir "/simulationDirectory/testbench/spectre/schematic" )

this will should do the same thing as OPT("I0","cgs")

hope this helps

rgds,

aw

View Profile   IP Logged
Nick

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2006, 6:50am

Thanks! That was useful.
Plotting the expression from the results browser worked. For some reason the opt will not work. Also I cannot instantiate the standard FET model, because the RF transistors are coming directly from a tech library.

Another question: can you do the same thing with dc sweep? i.e. is it possible to sweep a gate dc voltage and monitor how the transistor parameters vary for different voltages? I am trying to find the equivalent of infotimes for the dc analysis in order to save all the operating points.

Thanks,
Nick

Nick
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2006, 7:00am

This topic was discussed in the circuit simulators forum

look at the topic:

How to plot a MOS's Vth vs TEMP curve?

View Profile   IP Logged
Nick

Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2006, 7:14am

Thanks for your help,

parametric analysis makes sense  ::)

Best regards,
Nick

Nick
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.