The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 20th, 2024, 4:32pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to simulate MOSFET cap~Vg? (Read 7792 times)
Allennew

How to simulate MOSFET cap~Vg?
Jun 01st, 2006, 5:11pm

Hi,
I'm wondering how to do the spice3 simulation to get MOSFET capacitance(for example cgg, cgd, cgs) versus Vg as Vg changes from -2 to 2V? Freq. maybe 1MHz.

Could anybody provide a simple spice3 netlist?

Thank you very much!

Allen

View Profile   IP Logged
mikki33
Community Member

Analog/Mixed
Signal/High Speed

Israel
Re: How to simulate MOSFET cap~Vg?
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2006, 1:56am

To bias the transistor into the desired operation point, put some resistor in series to the terminal where you want to check cap,
use ideal RC (with the same R as to the transistor) and make AC with sweep of C value. Find overlapping outputs, which will correspond to the right cap...

Of course all of the above is valid if transistor models have right modelling of all these effects (or spice3 knows how to simulate them). I have no idea what spice3 is...

If you don't have time to do it good
you will find time to do it again
View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2006, 3:57am

I don't believe spice3 (spice3f5 from Berkeley) allows an ac analysis with a swept dc value. You could run a sequence of ac analyses with different Vg values and post process the results.

Otherwise, you probably have to make some changes to the C code of Spice. In particular, say for BSIM3, in the file "b3.c" you will find that the only operating-point parameters that you can ask for are gmbs, gm, gds, vdsat, id, vbs, vgs, vds.  You will need to add lines like
OP( "cgg",          BSIM3_CGG,       IF_REAL,    "Cgg"),
OP( "cgd",          BSIM3_CGD,       IF_REAL,    "Cgd"),
OP( "cgs",          BSIM3_CGS,       IF_REAL,    "Cgs"),
and re-compile Spice.  (MOS level 1 has lines for Cgs and Cgd, but they are commented out.)

Then you will be able to
save  @m1[cgg] @m1[cgd] @m1[cgs]
and these should appear in your output.  (You might try it now with save @m1[gm] to see how it comes out.)

Note that these are the internal transcapacitances of the channel charge and do not include the overlap or junction capacitances. Also, the frequency is not used; these are raw capacitances (and if you have gate resistance, the effective impedance ought to depend on frequency).  Contrast this with the ac analysis, where you stimulate the gate with an ac voltage and measure the ac current; the imaginary gate current is (2 pi freq) * cgg -- assuming no gate resistance.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Allennew

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:19am

Hi Mikki33, spice3 is spice3f5 from Berkeley as Geoffrey said.

mikki33 wrote on Jun 2nd, 2006, 1:56am:
To bias the transistor into the desired operation point, put some resistor in series to the terminal where you want to check cap,
use ideal RC (with the same R as to the transistor) and make AC with sweep of C value. Find overlapping outputs, which will correspond to the right cap...

Of course all of the above is valid if transistor models have right modelling of all these effects (or spice3 knows how to simulate them). I have no idea what spice3 is...

View Profile   IP Logged
Allennew

Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:24am

Geoffrey, thank you very much. Now I can get cgg/cgd/cgs for certain frequency for a single biasing point following your instruction. The only difficulty now is for different biasing. Is there a easy way to set biasing as a parameter (like in Hspice) and then do a loop in Spice3 simulation, instead of biasing by hand and post-processing the results?

Thank you!

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Jun 2nd, 2006, 3:57am:
I don't believe spice3 (spice3f5 from Berkeley) allows an ac analysis with a swept dc value. You could run a sequence of ac analyses with different Vg values and post process the results.

Otherwise, you probably have to make some changes to the C code of Spice. In particular, say for BSIM3, in the file "b3.c" you will find that the only operating-point parameters that you can ask for are gmbs, gm, gds, vdsat, id, vbs, vgs, vds.  You will need to add lines like
OP( "cgg",          BSIM3_CGG,       IF_REAL,    "Cgg"),
OP( "cgd",          BSIM3_CGD,       IF_REAL,    "Cgd"),
OP( "cgs",          BSIM3_CGS,       IF_REAL,    "Cgs"),
and re-compile Spice.  (MOS level 1 has lines for Cgs and Cgd, but they are commented out.)

Then you will be able to
save  @m1[cgg] @m1[cgd] @m1[cgs]
and these should appear in your output.  (You might try it now with save @m1[gm] to see how it comes out.)

Note that these are the internal transcapacitances of the channel charge and do not include the overlap or junction capacitances. Also, the frequency is not used; these are raw capacitances (and if you have gate resistance, the effective impedance ought to depend on frequency).  Contrast this with the ac analysis, where you stimulate the gate with an ac voltage and measure the ac current; the imaginary gate current is (2 pi freq) * cgg -- assuming no gate resistance.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2006, 4:21am

Allennew wrote on Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:24am:
Geoffrey, thank you very much. Now I can get cgg/cgd/cgs for certain frequency for a single biasing point following your instruction. The only difficulty now is for different biasing. Is there a easy way to set biasing as a parameter (like in Hspice) and then do a loop in Spice3 simulation, instead of biasing by hand and post-processing the results?

I don't use Spice3 very much; I'm not aware of a looping ability.  You must be using the ac analysis, rather than printing out the op-pt values, or else you could just do a regular dc sweep.  (Or are you trying to do a nested sweep?)

You could, of course, write a perl script to automatically generate the netlist for different biases (and even have the same script run spice in batch mode (-b) and extract the results).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Allennew

Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2006, 1:20pm

Thank you very much!!!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.