The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 1st, 2024, 4:37am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CMOS I/O series termination load line (Read 2402 times)
Croaker

CMOS I/O series termination load line
Jun 11th, 2006, 6:15am

I'm studying I/O and I'm a bit confused about the CMOS I/O scheme.  It is series terminated by the resistances of the N or PMOS.  

In one book they draw a load line for the transmission line along with the NMOS I vs. Vds curve for Vgs=Vdd.  The load line is the same as you would get if you had a load of Z0 in a common source amp (a straight line with I=Vdd/Z0 @ Vds=0 and I=0 @ Vds=Vdd).  Certainly I understand this for a CS amp, but not for the transmission line.

My issue is that I don't see how you get a current of Vdd/Z0 when the voltage at the NMOS end of the line is 0.  For this line, aren't the reflections always supposed to make the current zero, since it is an open-ended line?  How do they get the load line for the trans. line to be the same as a resistive load with one end connected to Vdd?

Oh, the goal of doing the load line is to find the point where the NMOS drain output is Vdd/2 when Vgs=Vdd.  The idea is to launch a Vdd/2 wave and then have the reflection come back and make Vds=0.

Thanks,
Marc

View Profile   IP Logged
mikki33
Community Member

Analog/Mixed
Signal/High Speed

Israel
Re: CMOS I/O series termination load line
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2006, 9:08am

I think I can help, but I didn't understand the question...

If you don't have time to do it good
you will find time to do it again
View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2006, 10:24am

mikki33 wrote on Jun 11th, 2006, 9:08am:
I think I can help, but I didn't understand the question...

I figured that would happen... Cry  My apologies!

Here's a pic of the situation.  I don't get why the load line for Z0 gives a current of Vdd/Z0 when Vds=0.  This kind of makes sense if you think of Z0 as a resistor with the far end at Vdd.  This way, if the drain end is 0, you get Vdd/Z0 is the current sunk by the NMOS.  The things I don't get are how you can have a current with an open termination (it should be zero when things settle out).  In other words, I don't get how that load line works.  (It would make sense to me if it was depicting a common source amplifier with a resistor load).

The point of the curve is to find out if your MOSFET is sized correctly to generate a Vdd/2 wave when turned on.

---
My understanding of the transmission is that a positive voltage wave of Vdd/2 is launched, and the current is being sunk by the MOSFET.  Since it's an open termination, the current must become zero.  To accomplish this, a wave of zero volts is setup at the far end, which causes a current in the opposite direction.  This zero volt wave comes back to the drain (near end) and the voltage goes from Vdd/2 to zero.  Is this the right way to think about how the current becomes zero?

Thanks,
Marc

z0.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2006, 10:35am

Here is a pic to explain how I think the waves on the line work to eventually make the current zero and drain voltage zero.

zwaves.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
mikki33
Community Member

Analog/Mixed
Signal/High Speed

Israel
Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2006, 9:14am

Marc, you are right it is confusing. Especially I can't understand how to combine Z0 and DC opereting point.
Do you consider the source of this knowledge to be reliable?

I would first separate DC and AC parts. For the DC operating point the graph you posted is probable. But, in this case, Z0 becomes R0. And if it is connected to VDD, you are getting load line like on the graph.

For AC, it is not so clear. What kind of signal the author is talking about small or large one (Z0???). What is the termination at the far end? What is the AC ground (virtual voltage of VDD/2???)? Etc. Etc. Etc.

May be the best thing is to read another book or article?
Try to find "A Self-Terminating Low-Voltage Swing CMOS Output Driver" (IEEE JOURNAL OF SOLID-STATE CIRCUITS,VOL. 23,NO 2,APRIL 1988). This is the very beginning of the high speed I/O.

(If you can't find it, you may leave me your e-mail in PM, I can send the article to you.)

Hope, this helps,
Michael

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2006, 10:08am

Hi Michael, the discussion stems from Ch. 4 of 'Basic ESD and I/O Design' by Dabral and Maloney.  It seems to assume lots of knowledge of ESD and I/O and is an overview of things going on in that area.  It might be useful to someone who already knows the area, but not to me! Sad  

For example, they just say, 'here is the typical MOSFET breakdown curve' without explaining the snapback, second breakdown, or explaining what the labels on the graph stand for.  They assume the reader is already very familiar with that stuff, yet it is never covered in non-ESD books.  Doing an Internet search didn't yield much information on the subject, besides how to handle computer chips.

Grr.

Marc

« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2006, 6:17am by Croaker »  
View Profile   IP Logged
mikki33
Community Member

Analog/Mixed
Signal/High Speed

Israel
Reply #6 - Jun 12th, 2006, 10:15am

So, they probably ment:

z0.GIF

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #7 - Jun 12th, 2006, 10:33am

Could be but I don't think so.  The CMOS I/O is series terminated by the MOSFET drivers and drives gates of other MOSFETs, so it's an open-ended line.

???
Marc

View Profile   IP Logged
mikki33
Community Member

Analog/Mixed
Signal/High Speed

Israel
Reply #8 - Jun 12th, 2006, 11:08am

No, it is open ended from AC point of view. For the DC you have to define operation point...
So, I can think about other possibilities

z0_001.GIF

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #9 - Jun 12th, 2006, 12:20pm

The picture on the left describes the situation.  It is like Fig. 7 in the paper you sent.

Can you figure out how that loadline & Ids intersect graph can be gotten based on Fig. 7b?  You can assume the NMOS Vgs=Vdd and the PMOS is off.  It seems like the book I'm reading treats the Z0 just like a resistor tied to Vdd when generating that load line.

From the book:
"Assuming the TL is at Vdd from the previous state and needs to be pulled low, the initial state is that there is no Ids current and the voltage is Vdd.  Similarily, if Vds is set to zero, then Ids=Vdd/Z0.  The result is a load line for the TL with a slope of 1/Z0."

Maybe I initially interpreted it wrong.  

They are saying the TL (far end) is at Vdd for both the Vds=0 and Vds=Vdd conditions perhaps?  This kind of explains how they get the current for the load line (since the TL is like a resistor load tied to Vdd), but I'm not seeing how the DC values of the near and far ends of the TL can be different.  I thought an open-ended TL would equalize the NE and FE voltages to make the current zero...

Cheers,
Marc

View Profile   IP Logged
mikki33
Community Member

Analog/Mixed
Signal/High Speed

Israel
Reply #10 - Jun 13th, 2006, 5:08am

The essential part of this circuit that Ron of the NMOS transistor equals to the |Z0|. This makes perfect termination. Therefore, you have to plot Ids and 1/Z0 and find the point of their intersection.

At least make sense.

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #11 - Jun 13th, 2006, 6:08am

I agree that it would be nice to have Ron=Z0, but the load line and Ids curve is really just to find out where Vds=Vdd/2, in order to launch the right wave value.  I don't see that the MOSFET small-signal resistance would necessarily equal Z0 at the intersection point.

Marc

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.