The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 28th, 2024, 1:04pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AMSDesigner's speed (Read 4470 times)
Cri Azzolini
Community Member

University of Parma, Italy
AMSDesigner's speed
Jun 15th, 2006, 8:08am

Hi all,

I recently perfomed mixed-mode simulation of a design containing both analog (schematic) and digital (verilog) section with AMS-Designer. I noted that the same transient simulation performed on a schematic containing only the analog section of the design takes more time with Spectre: the difference is huge, about 50% or maybe more!
The simulation is run on the same workstation and the simulation queue was empty in both cases.

I cannot explain how this may happen: I mean, as far as I know, AMSDesigner uses Spectre for the simulation of the analog part of the circuit!
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Cri

View Profile WWW cri.azzolini   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: AMSDesigner's speed
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2006, 5:05am

Does the digital block control the analog, and if so, how did you replace it in the analog-only simulation?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Cri Azzolini
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2006, 5:24am

Hi Geoffrey,

the analog block drives a digital post-processing digital machine. Actually there is some feedback signal from the digital block to the analog core. Does it make difference?
In the analog-only simulation I simply delete the digital block and no post-processing is done: in this way the output analog data are raw and not corrected by the digital machine.

Thanks, bye!
Cri

Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2006, 5:52am

I haven't used AMSDesigner, so I don't know if it runs Spectre in a low-accuracy mode or something ... What does the feedback do?  In the analog-only simulation, if this signal is fixed at a "bad" bias point (I'm assuming it's not completely missing), then you could be balancing the analog circuitry at a sharp nonlinearity that could be causing convergence problems in the analog solver.  But that's pure conjecture.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Cri Azzolini
Community Member

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2006, 12:00am

Yes, I understand what you suppose about the "bad" bias point: it could be a possible reason. I am going to verify!
Thanks for your kind reply and regards,

Cri

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.