The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 31st, 2024, 10:14pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Modelling fabricated devices (Read 2831 times)
MK

Modelling fabricated devices
Jul 19th, 2006, 10:02am

Hi, I have a question in regards to modelling a fabricated device.  We recently fabricated a BJT and are interested in taking the measured results and quickly modelling it in Spectre for use with our cadence simulations.  I have never been involved in a project like this so I am not sure where to begin.  I have seen how bsim is mainly used for modelling, but is there a way to create a stripped down, quick model including key elements like beta for immediate use, rather than creating a bsim like model?  Or is bsim the only way we have available and requires the measurement of all of the bsim parameters?

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: Modelling fabricated devices
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2006, 10:28am

since your device is a BJT, I think you'll find it much easier and better to try to fit your measurement data to the Gummel-Poon model (or just Eber's Moll).

Just by simple gummel plots (dc measurements of ic and ib against vbe at various vce) can give you quite a few of the parameters you want to fit like beta chararistics etc.

normally though one uses extraction software to do this... like supplied by aglient or similar. i think you'll find it tough to fit all the parameters of Gummel Poon with some "educated assumptions" for some of the parameters, but its definately much easier to understand than bsim for MOS.

View Profile   IP Logged
MK

Re: Modelling fabricated devices
Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2006, 9:28am

Thanks, that makes sense and is a reasonable way to approach my problem.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.