The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 31st, 2024, 8:19pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SiGe bipolar modelling (Read 8731 times)
extractor_man

SiGe bipolar modelling
Nov 23rd, 2004, 6:45am

Hello

I am looking for hicum based extraction tools for HBT.
It seems that Hicum is well suited for scalable extraction, which is just a dream with SGP model or even with Mextram. Am I right?

Thanks ,

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: SiGe bipolar modelling
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2005, 8:14am

A quick Google search came up with http://www.xmodtech.com/ for Hicum extraction.

I have heard the same story you have (hicum better for scalable extraction), but we use an enhanced Gummel-Poon model and have nice scalable models.  Maybe our characterization guy is just smarter than your average Joe. Smiley

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2005, 12:33am

Could you explain what are "Gummel-thingy" models means! Is it augumented by additional components with an inline subcircuit?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2005, 7:39am

Hmm ... that's odd.  I typed P O O N, but the software translated it to "thingy."
I'll have to check with the webmaster.

We have our own simulator, so we built the model into it -- much more flexible than subckts.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2005, 9:15am

The obsenity filter was converting "Poon" to "Thingy". I have removed that particular translation.

-Ken

extractor_man

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2006, 1:24am

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Jun 6th, 2005, 8:14am:
A quick Google search came up with http://www.xmodtech.com/ for Hicum extraction.

I have heard the same story you have (hicum better for scalable extraction), but we use an enhanced Gummel-Poon model and have nice scalable models.  Maybe our characterization guy is just smarter than your average Joe. Smiley

thanks Geoffrey,
well, could you tell me more qbout you on house enhanced SGP model if it is not too confidential? For example
-Is your ft well modeled and the scalability valid ? (versus lenght, width, and configurations).
-are your parameters physical meaning?
-your max Ft? technology? (SiGe 0.35, 0.18? 0.13?)

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2006, 9:15am

We added some features to SGP, so all the pros and cons are mirrored in terms of the core equations, scalability, physical meaning.  We added things like self-heating and weak avalanche.

fT is well modeled.

We're using the model for our internal eXtra-Fast Complimentary Bipolar processes.

loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2006, 8:46pm

A minor comment -

Bipolar geometry scaling does not work as nicely (in theory anyhow) as does CMOS scaling. (lets ignore geometry binning for the moment shall we? Cheesy )

Consequently a lot of the models get developed fixed geometry without size scaling. (ergo lots of unique, one model fits one transistor models)

When I was part of IBM we were using the VBIC95 model for the 5HP, 5HPE, and later SiGe processes. FWIW it seemed to give pretty good corellation to silicon.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
extractor_man

Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2006, 8:38am

Well, you are talking about the "old" 0.35 um IBM SiGe process?

Today, they are using Hicum 2.1 in 0.13 SiGe process (8HP?) ! according to :
http://www.nsti.org/Nanotech2006/WCM2006/WCM2006-RMalladi1.pdf

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #9 - Aug 4th, 2006, 10:13am

Thats out of UCSD as well as out of the foundry group in Vermont. Must be one of Larry Larson's students.

The 5HP, 5AM, 5HPE, and 6HP processes all used the VBIC95 models if I recall correctly. If they went on to different models after that I am not sure.

Smiley Good news - most model development coming out of IBM is pretty good. No complaints from me on what they do there.

Angry Bad news - There are a lot of bad models out there. I know a lot of horror stories.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.