The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 2:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Analog Functional Verification (Read 10745 times)
chase.ng
Community Member

penang/malaysia
Analog Functional Verification
Jul 27th, 2006, 6:54am

Hi all,

I need some opinions from all regarding analog functional verification. Nowaday analog circuitry is getting more and more complex and the flexiblity of the circuit increases tremendously with more and more function being integrated in 1 chip. As I go higher and higher in hierarchy, I found it harder and harder to verify the analog block across all PVT and all possible operation mode. For example, if the analog block can work in 4 modes, verifying it using monte carlo for lets say 2 voltage extreme and 2 temperature extreme, even for 20 points per condition will take 320 simulations. I used to design in digital domain where I consider only 2 worst case conditions. How you guys actually verifying large analog blocks with so many mode of operations? My method looks stupid but this is what I can think of to give the highest confidence. Any suggestion?

Thanks,
chase

Chase
View Profile chase.ng   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Analog Functional Verification
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2006, 11:31am

Actually, this is how I make my living these days. We have recently completed the functional verification of a 10K transistor circuit that had over 800 modes, and we simulated each one them and found several errors. The ideas we used are described in www.designers-guide.org/Design/tdd-principles.pdf. We also have a paper on our experiences that we will present at CICC this year. The basic idea is to use mixed-level simulation to greatly accellerate the verification process.

Feel free to ask follow on questions here, or contact me directly if you would like our help.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
chase.ng
Community Member

penang/malaysia
Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2006, 7:16am

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the advice. I read the paper but I am still do not have a very clear idea on the subject. In the paper you mention about behaviour modeling of the subcircuits, do you mean that all those subcircuits, at least at the final stage of the design, should model all the worst case behavior? But the worst case output of a circuit is always depends on the worst case input from another circuit. Assume that initially we have ideal models for all circuits, isn't it going to take a lot iterations before getting the "exact" worst case output?

chase

Chase
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2006, 5:57pm

My own feeling is that the concept of "coverage" might be useful here..
Do some up front planning so that you know what can be verified at circuit levels and what has to be verified at the top level.
What runs require transistors (maybe parasitics?) along which paths...

Like Ken, this is how I make my living.. I just haven't converted to consulting yet..
My last paper on this subject, is on the BMAS website..
http://www.bmas-conf.org/2004/papers/bmas04-david.pdf

As publicity chair for the conference this year, I'll encourage you to attend.
I think you'd find the opportunity to get into some great discussions!
Jonathan

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
chase.ng
Community Member

penang/malaysia
Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2006, 7:01am

Hello all,

Thanks for the comments. Guess I will have to spend more time doing research the matter.

chase.

Chase
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2006, 9:57pm

Hm....

Generally, people "beat to death in corners and monte carlo" the individual mixed signal boxes.

At the top level, you get a lot less of this due to it being a "too many corners" scenario.

Also, a lot chips I have put together at the top level were fully behavioral at the topl level for interconnect validation. That after a careful validation of the behavioral model (to spice equivalent) for the mixed signal boxes.

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:00am

You exactly met the automation gap in analog circuit verification!

What you need is

1. Automatic parameter extraction and checking (Aptivia, Matlab extraction, your own code)
2. Simulator/netlist control to set simulation modes, operating modes, corner ... (typical Perl,Phyton, Skill?)
3. Checking the hierachical embedding (is the circuit used or driven as intended)

Everthing must run fully automatic everytime the model, process or the hierachical embedding change.

I expect that in this domain new tools pop up in the future which support existing simulators.

View Profile   IP Logged
achim.graupner
Community Member

Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2006, 3:59am

Hi there,

I would  add a 4th need:
A  list where all tests/ testbenches assigned to an individual block are stored. Whenever a block is changed all test of this block and all blocks above in the hierachy are carried out (i.e. if you modify an opamp all blocks using this opamp are verified)

For 1 I like to comment:
-  I've used so far calculator expressions which are a pain as due to ADE's non-scalable window there  are only 6 expressions to be seen at once and their output have individually checked against a spec.
- Using VerilogA to output data into a file and postprocess via matlab requires additional manual steps.
- I plan to code checkers in VerilogA or maybe later also in SystemC-AMS (an analoge extension to SystemC).
- I suppose it will be quite difficult to extract whether all devices remain in saturation (i.e. to detect when an output stage is limiting the signal at some corner) or if stability conditions change (i.e. a circuits starts some oscillations)

- achim

Achim Graupner
ZMD AG, Dresden, Silicon Saxony, Germany
View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2006, 2:28pm

Hi Achim,

focusing on point 1. In ADE you can use a text editor and setup the expression and load it into the Calculator by paste. But for more complex extraction you need a scripting enviroment. I have found a similar tool under www.sourceforge.net MANIAC but I did not test fully. A better way is to have a Phyton library with a Matlab compatible parser and a Waveform tool to test the scripts with real simulation data and derived diagnostic results. But it seems there is no market for that.

I would also add that putting the backprocessing into the simulator like VerilogA or VHDL-AMS stick you mostly to one simulator vendor. If you want to modify the analysis you have to rerun the complete simulation!

View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2006, 1:18am

For transistor op points , spectre now supports "assertions" which will report when devices enter/leave illegal operating conditions which you can define.. doesn't work in AMS yet, as far as I know..
you can read up on keyword "assertions" in spectre manual..

Despite it being a GREAT idea, its not something thats risen to the top of my list to put in place yet.. but probably will on next design..

for the Calculator, I only use it to HELP me create the expressions/plots I need.. then they go into my ocean script..  where I can use skill to check for the right values (see my primitive approach to this from the 2001/2002? ICU now on the cadence web site as a White Paper..
"functional Verification of a Differential Operational Amplifer"

Aptivia does get Close to the idea with measures and specification limits.. and easier corrner and sweep setup..
but they don't really have a way to do a sweep and ignore the results if the parameters used were not correct for the corner..
nor one that would let you find the RIGHT settings for the corner, then do the "REAL" tests...
nor (at least not built in- and definitely not synchrononized with DM tools) a way to re-submit /schedule/launch the tests any time any element of the design was changed..

But that part should be a simple post submit script to add to your DM system .. right?
(chuckle..)
to script the sim, and extract the results to your favorite post processing tool (Matlab) Ocean is great..
to manage the data collected is ANOTHER animal entirely..
If you know of a tool that does that, please let me know!!

jbd

jbdavid
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2006, 12:26am

jbdavid,

are you working for cadence? If, is there a plan to introduce script based extraction and automatic verification within the next releases? Or new tools?

View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Reply #11 - Sep 2nd, 2006, 12:01am

I rarely talk about "extraction" at the same time as I talk about Functional Verification
Usually its more associated with Physical Verification - but you do use the extracted view at least once for the final verification run.

I DON'T work for Cadence anymore. I do know there is a big push for the NEW Analog design platform that will be announced soon. and they already announced their new physical verification platform.   Working for a small startup, we don't really want to "waste time" re-training our entire design team on new tools, nor do we want to spend a lot of money on new tools.. so I haven't been following the discussions TOO closely yet.

good luck..
jbd

jbdavid
chase.ng
Community Member

penang/malaysia
Reply #12 - Sep 15th, 2006, 5:31pm

Hi all,

Seems like being an analog IC designer needs to be a multi-talented programmer as well. I do spend some time on automating monte carlo simulation on some blocks with perl and I find it too time consuming to write a general script good enough to cater all kind of situation and circuit and I end up running the simulation and verification manually.

Heard that cadence are going to have something called neocircuit for design automation.

chase

Chase
achim.graupner
Community Member

Reply #13 - Sep 17th, 2006, 10:38pm

>  Seems like being an analog IC designer needs to be a multi-talented programmer as well
for the digital designer this is already true and I am sure the analog designers have to follow

> Heard that cadence are going to have something called neocircuit for design automation.
Well, "Neocircuit" is a tool for DfY. You define specification for a circuit (i.e. gain and bandwidth of an OTA), provide expressions for measuring those circuit parameters. Neocircuit then tries to meet those specs by altering circuits parameters ant to maximize the yield. Such an optimized circuit of course is well verified. However this tool is definitely not suited for verifying the whole system.

Achim

Achim Graupner
ZMD AG, Dresden, Silicon Saxony, Germany
View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #14 - Sep 18th, 2006, 12:30am

Achim,

it is natural that you have to follow the more complex nature of today mixed/rf circuits. There is also more programability built into systems. Partly because that is also built in hardware but more because you want to have a higher degree of flexibility to explore alternatives. Executeable languages are a good extension to structural descriptions. I think they complement each other. If your origin is analog and spice you have a good ground which most missing. What is missing is a better support of the EDA world for integrated verification.

Today(!) I am specifying analog/mixed systems on Matlab/Simulink because it is more efficient. For our development Matlab is also used as base for digital as well as analog developments. For me Mathworks is the winner in the analog world. The huge libraries, the scripting enviroment, good documentation,... are the reasons to develop higher level circuit specification. Verification on the next level is still spice but mixed with VHDL-AMS, Verilog.

An integrated verification flow must support automatic or executeable spice level parameters. The methology of the 80's, schematic->netlist->spice->waveform, stick the verification engineer to cockpit drivers. If a circuit runs at 3 temperatures, 3 basic process corners, 100's analog process corners, 10's circuit configuration states, 10's of resuse embeddings, ..., there is no way to proceed with the cockpit procedure. Waveform verification is not automatic!. You can automate up to the point where script based verification could generate weeks of waveform videos. Who verify the videos?

What I think in the near time the solution is to use the same Matlab enviroment for higher level specificaction/design also to drive automatic circuit level verification. That is exact the point where EDA is missing. They need for this was oberserved for about 5 years now. But the was no sign from EDA. All effort is concentrated to some spot issues like simulation result based netlist reduction. This example also shows that if an specification enviroment would exist the extractor does not need to extract aF/mOhm on static or small current lines. So the netlist reduction is good example what going wrong. If the netlist reduction is not ciruit result driven it has the same dilemma.

Ten years ago every one told you the world is digital or going to be. You had to think that you are one of the last dino's waiting for the next asteroid. Now analog productivity is in crisis. For what you need analog? The world is digital. There is something that got wrong.

Reiner

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.