The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 4:22pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to simulate Mixer using Spectre? (Read 881 times)
blilix

How to simulate Mixer using Spectre?
Aug 02nd, 2006, 12:23pm

Hi,
    I am working on Down conversion Passive Mixer and want to know the right way to simulate the voltage conversion gain of it. I read the cadence manual and it describes about the PSS and PXF or PAC to simulate the conversion gain. However, somebody told me to use only PSS analysis. What is the right way to simulate this?

Best regards,

View Profile   IP Logged
simon2

Southampton, United Kingdom.
Re: How to simulate Mixer using Spectre?
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2006, 3:33pm

Hi Blilix,
           I know of no "right way" to simulate mixer voltage gain - there are many and they have different meanings.  However, arguably the most meaningful would be to calculate the output power divided by the input power.  Notice that such power terms are frequency independent, which suggests a way to do it for voltages, by carrying out the calculation using the envelope of the input and output waveforms via the geometric identity x=((cos(y))^2+(sin(y))^2)^0.5.

Rather than explain it all here, have a look at:

http://www.silicondevices.com/Resources/AppsNotes/MixerGainSimulation.html

which is incomplete (need a real example added) but does explain the method.

Cheers,
            SimonH.

Simon.Harpham@ieee.org
http://www.SiliconDevices.com
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2006, 3:14am

blilix wrote on Aug 2nd, 2006, 12:23pm:
Hi,
    I am working on Down conversion Passive Mixer and want to know the right way to simulate the voltage conversion gain of it. I read the cadence manual and it describes about the PSS and PXF or PAC to simulate the conversion gain. However, somebody told me to use only PSS analysis. What is the right way to simulate this?

Best regards,

PSS+Pxf and PSS+Pac will give you the small signal gain under frequency translation of the Large LO tone.

using straight PSS to get the gain will mean the RF input is no longer a small signal input, but if its within the linear region of operation of operation of the mixer it will give the same result as PSS+Pxf or PSS+Pac, much in the same way as a transient simulation would. Of course there is a compuational overhead for doing two tone (RF &LO) PSS or transient in comparison to PSS+PAc or PSS+Pxf, especially if the down converted IF is much lower frequency than that of the LO....

To capture compression effects on gain due to large RF inputs, then PSS, transient or QPSS (the results of each should be similar) would be more appropriate than small signal analyses pac or pxf.

hope this helps...

View Profile   IP Logged
blilix

Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2006, 9:45pm

Thank you so much everybody.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.