The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 4:25pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
internal timestep too small (Read 14701 times)
xwcwc1234

TAIWAN
internal timestep too small
Aug 11th, 2006, 3:17am

Hi ,
  I use Hspice's transient analysis to simulate a PWM circuit with LC low pass filter at output . Buy it always has "internal timestep too small" problem after all. I try to fix this problem by changing RMIN & TSTEP value , but it can not work . Anyone knows how to solve this problem ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: internal timestep too small
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2006, 4:56am

Internal timestep too small is usually an indication of a derivative problem.  What transistor models do you have in the circuit?  Do you have any behavioral models or strange dependent sources?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
xwcwc1234

TAIWAN
Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2006, 7:45pm

I use BSIM3V3 model form foundry and there is no behavioral model in my circuit . In my circuit , since it is a PWM circuit , so there are a couple of big NMOS/PMOS transistors at output side . I also put a LC low pass filter (L=33uH ,C=1uF) to filter out the PWM output  . Hspice diagnostic for nonconvergent are show as follows ;

node    subcircuit       old       new      error
                       name    definition    voltage   voltage   tolerance
                      (xt.sp)     t89           -7.996k    -6.996k  125.065
             (xt.xi228.pdrive) out_blk     5.363      5.343     3.748
                  (xt.r101:i1)  t89           -7.996k    -6.996k  125.065

total voltage source power dissipation=  -18.5695        watts

So what can I do for solving this problem ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2006, 5:00am

Is the PWM output fed back to the circuit, like for an LDO regulator?  Can you break the feedback loop?  Try feeding the control with a voltage source instead, and see if you get a reasonable output.  8kV is awfully high.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2006, 9:50pm

Added Item:

The inductor sounds like it is ideal.  Reduce the Q of that perfect inductor with some series resistance and parallel capacitance. Ideal reactive elements can do some strange things in simulators.

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
xwcwc1234

TAIWAN
Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2006, 2:15am

(1) I modify the inductor model with serise resistor and parallel capacitor , the result is the same.
(2) The PWM output is feedback to a integrator  , why I have to break the feedback loop to fis this problem ? Is the feedback loop cause this problem ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2006, 6:20am

I was suggesting you break the feedback loop just for diagnostic purposes, to make sure the system works correctly open-loop.

xwcwc1234

TAIWAN
Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2006, 11:33pm

I added the Hspice options itl4=100 & reltol=0.01 in the spice file , and the result looks better . I also try the method=gear to fix this problem , but the simulation waveform has a little bit strangle. Is the Gear method not accurate as  Trap ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2006, 10:24am

reltol = 0.01 is huge -- that means you're allowing the simulator to "lose track" of 1% of the largest current going into any/every node.

itl4=100 is also not always such a good idea.  You're telling the simulator to try 100 iterations before giving up and choosing a smaller timestep.  The default is 10, and most transient analyses average less than 5.  You could be making your simulation run a lot slower than it should.  It would be better to get to the bottom of the convergence problem.

Gear is more numerically stable than trap.  Ken's book (DG to Spice&Spectre) is one place to read up on the integration methods.  Or "google" the terms.

xwcwc1234

TAIWAN
Reply #9 - Aug 21st, 2006, 6:15pm

I use Hspie option ITL4=100 and TRTOL=25 and then it work . The error message disappear and the simulation run smoothly. Why ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #10 - Aug 22nd, 2006, 3:51am

Luck?

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.