The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 23rd, 2024, 8:19pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OTA-C (Gm-C) Filter Design (Read 3850 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

OTA-C (Gm-C) Filter Design
Aug 16th, 2006, 5:03am

Hi all,

i'm looking into differential OTA-C filter design in CMOS for channel selection, and so i designed a simple OTA and created a biquad bandpass filter then cascaded four of them to get a 8th order BPF. While individually the OTAs seemed normal in terms of input referred noise, when i cascaded them i noticed a large spike in the IRN. The center frequency is 2 MHz and the bandwidth is 1 MHz, and the spike appeared at 1.5 MHz. While the IRN at 2 MHz was around 200 nV/rtHz, the IRN at 1.5 MHz was about 1.3 uV/rtHz. I also noticed that this large noise spike is common mode noise since when I simulated the IRN with the output noise as a differential voltage the spike disappeared. It isn't flicker noise.

Does anybody know where this noise came from? Also since it is common mode noise can i neglect it?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: OTA-C (Gm-C) Filter Design
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2006, 9:43am

Generally, one is interested in the differential signal to differential noise ratio, so common-mode noise is rejected somewhat. But in real circuits, especially in mismatched conditions when CM rejection is poor, common-mode noise can then become differentail and problematic. A monte-carlo sim will show you.

In you case, I would definately be looking at the Common-mode feedback scheme you are using in your OTA. I think you might find it improves if instead of using differential capacitance to get your TF, you use the capaciators in common-mode (at the cost of of 4* cap area)... this will should give you a noticable change in common-mode response.... and usually CMFB stability is the scurge of your type of design... i've seen a few high Q gmC filters oscillate nicely in common-mode...  

Anyway in cascaded biquad design, there is always an optimum cascade order for either noise or linearity/signal handling. Usually one choses the choice for best dynamic ratio (ie signal handling to noise ratio). So changing the order of the biquads will change the noise.
Also remember if the bandpass is real and created by bilinear transform of low-pass transfer function, then it will be symetrical in log(frq) rather than linear frq, so the noise always grows faster on the low side of the characteristic than the high side (ignoring effects like flicker noise etc.). This is not the case in your problem as you are quote noise at the -3dB point.... rather than just of of band... but its something to bare in mind.

cheers

aw

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2006, 2:56pm

You can't just ignore common mode noise. CMRR is very real and needs to be profiled over frequency and under mismatch conditions.

Ergo, I am in agreement with AW...  ;)

What you describe there sounds to me like you have the CMFB circuits interacting with each other. Change the BW of the CMFB circuits and see how it affects the spectral placement of the CM noise.

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2006, 12:25am

thanks,

yeah it was noise from the common mode detector. I was hoping i could get away with using a very simple common mode biasing scheme but it looks like i'm gonna have to do the whole CMFB loop.

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2006, 11:08am

Been there, done that.

I did a gm-C filter last year for an UWB receiver, and the CMFB was a pain in the #ss...

The modulation and the CMFB  BW were interacting and it took a while to straighten out.
Good luck with it!

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.