The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 3:21pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to creat a loop filter model in VerilogA (Read 77 times)
semitao

How to creat a loop filter model in VerilogA
Aug 21st, 2006, 6:48pm

Hi,
  I want to creat a loop filter model in VerilogA. I found most loop filter model use R and C component, but I try to use the laplace function to describe this model, is that feasible?

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: How to creat a loop filter model in VerilogA
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2006, 4:02am

yes, laplace function should work fine... i think there used to be a "hidden state" problem with it in spectreRF simulations, but this has gone away now...

View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Re: How to creat a loop filter model in VerilogA
Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2006, 11:25am

One of the problems I had with La-place is the fact that is immutable once setup..
IE you Can't change the transfer function during the transient simulation.. which is a problem if you
can switch capacitance or resistance in or out of the circuit to adjust for process, thermal, variation,
or to handle different types of inputs... maybe not generally the case for PLL loop filters, but thats
not the only place where this might be used. I once developed 32 parallel laplace functions and picked the one
selected by the control signal (a bus) but today I'd use a differntial model and change the coefficients based on the control signals..
ie
Code:
logic [4:0] BW_control;
electrical cap;
always @(BW_control) begin
  C = cap_lsb * BW_control;
end
analog begin
  I(cap) <+ C*ddt(V(cap));
end

of course you might want to change the capacitance nicely (transition) and get I(cap) to behave correctly on the transition, but
you get the idea..
Jbd

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.