The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 11:05am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mixed signal simulation time (Read 2252 times)
mady79

Mixed signal simulation time
Aug 22nd, 2006, 4:53am

I m working on mixed signal simulations with digital (rtl) and analog( ams ) .I appreciate if there are some ways to make  the simulation faster  by changing parameters like reltol ,time scale in AMS ..

My digital logic is small ,does wrting that digital in ams and having all ams models heps in simulation time ?? just curious ...
Thanks in advance ...

View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Re: Mixed signal simulation time
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2006, 11:13am

in Cadence you can use a profiler to see where the simulator is spending its time..
Generally speaking simulator time is
Behavioral < RTL < Gate,
but ALL of those are much faster than solving the analog circuit..

to get the most speed out of Verilog-AMS I look for places where the analog data is SAMPLED, or can be treated like a sampled system..
for those I use WREAL rather than electrical.. as this moves the signal out of the analog solver.
(my Tutorial from BMAS  4 years ago talks about this method a little and my paper from two years ago started the ideas in my head for
using logical signals on a differential signal pair.. which I expand on in this years paper.. (there is still time to register.. assuming your in the USA.. or can easily travel here..)

Its the Analog simulation that generally consumes the most resources so thats where you need to focus your modeling effort.
Jonathan

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Re: Mixed signal simulation time
Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2006, 10:44am

I try not to give too much  advice here..
rather than "That's where you should focus your modeling efforts"
I meant rather to share my experience..
"That's where I tend to focus my modeling efforts"

jbd

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.