The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 8:34am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CV characteristic (Read 4296 times)
337see733
Community Member

Singapore
CV characteristic
Aug 29th, 2006, 12:54am

Dear all,

I'm getting from Medici simulation result showing Cgb=Cbg. This puzzle me. These two capacitances should not be the same under any circumstances(except below threshold voltage), as they are related to different charges, the former is gate charge(or total charge) and the latter is bulk-charge, respectively.
Anyone have any experience to counter this problem? Thanks in advance.

View Profile gilbertsee   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: CV characteristic
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2006, 10:09am

Improper distribution of capacitance in a transistor model, not getting the depletion and bulk capacitnace effects modeled correctly is a very common problem in foundry models.

Sorry, that's the reality. What foundry model set is this? TSMC and UMC almost always mess this up.

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
337see733
Community Member

Singapore
Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2006, 6:04pm

loose-electron wrote on Aug 29th, 2006, 10:09am:
Improper distribution of capacitance in a transistor model, not getting the depletion and bulk capacitnace effects modeled correctly is a very common problem in foundry models.

Sorry, that's the reality. What foundry model set is this? TSMC and UMC almost always mess this up.

Jerry

It was a 2-D simulation results using Medici from Synopsys. Not really any model set in particular.

Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2006, 6:42am

For a moscap structure, I would indeed expect Cgb=Cbg; the gate charge must be equal and opposite the channel charge for charge neutrality.

Have you partitioned the channel charge into d, s, and b parts?  Do you have Qd and Qs non-zero?  In a MOS, if Qd=Qs=0, then Qb = -Qg, and it seems you're back in the moscap situation ...

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
337see733
Community Member

Singapore
Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2006, 2:20am

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Aug 30th, 2006, 6:42am:
For a moscap structure, I would indeed expect Cgb=Cbg; the gate charge must be equal and opposite the channel charge for charge neutrality.

Have you partitioned the channel charge into d, s, and b parts?  Do you have Qd and Qs non-zero?  In a MOS, if Qd=Qs=0, then Qb = -Qg, and it seems you're back in the moscap situation ...

Yes, my model has non-zero qd and qs at strong inversion. However, my confusion is not with the model, but rather the simulation results shown in MEDICI simulation. Please find the attached. The Cbg is following Cgb, at Vds=0, which i suppose to be different from what i thought. Though Vds=0, i suppose it will still be different as there are still inversion charge at Vds=0 and some parasitic effects, such as the overlap charge should be added to the gate-charge. This device is very short, about 90nm(channel length), overlap length=20nm. It seems to me that the parasitic charges due to overlap is not included in the gate? or is it included somewhere else???

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2006, 6:26pm by 337see733 »  

CbgCgb_001.JPG
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.